11 October 2009

Breakfast All Day

That's right. Breakfast was my all-day food theme. There is something about a gloomy Sunday that made breakfast seem appropriate from morning to evening. I think a certain culinary mindset just lingered, giving me a good excuse to cook up comfort food throughout the day.Breakfast Part One featured the Bread Pudding recipe from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's The Joy of Vegan Baking (2007). The photo above makes it look more like the author's Chocolate Bread Pudding, but it's only that dark due to poor lighting (gloomy Sunday, remember?) and the use of whole wheat bread. I didn't use the raisins stated in the recipe, only because I'm not that crazy about them. (Maybe I should have used chocolate chips?) I am, however, a big fan of nuts, and did in fact add in a few citrus-candied almonds for some crunch. The pudding didn't turn out as custardy as traditional recipes using eggs, but I'm fine with the way this vegan version turned out. It is an easy way to use up stale bread, and it tastes good, too.

Because I didn't have a proper lunch--leftover odds and ends, some snacks, etc.--Breakfast Part Two began and ended around dinnertime. I happened to find inspiration for dinner whilst flipping channels the other day: a woman was cooking up something that looked like corned beef hash, and I thought of the package of vegan soy chorizo that has been sitting in the fridge for awhile. I try to avoid things that are really greasy for various health-related issues, but I already had the soy chorizo on hand and a potentially delicious potato-soy chorizo hash was already in the works in my mind.
Here's what I did: I threw a package of the soy chorizo in a hot skillet, along with a couple of crumbled Boca burger patties. Then I added half a chopped onion, two minced garlic cloves, and half a chopped red onion, stirring and cooking over medium heat for a few minutes before adding two chopped yellow potatoes and a dash each of salt and pepper. I turned the heat down to a low flame, covered the skillet, and let the whole thing cook until the potatoes were tender. While it was cooking, I neglected to stir the chorizo hash, resulting in a few mildly burnt bits, which didn't affect the dish much at all, except for adding some crunchiness. After pulling the skillet off the heat, I mixed in a tablespoon or so of chopped cilantro and a pinch of red pepper flakes. I had leftover rice from last night, so I ate the chorizo hash with that, and it was quite good--spicy, savory, and comforting.

2 comments:

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)