12 October 2009

Catching Up with Leftovers

Every so often, I get ahead of myself and end up cooking much more than I should. Last week's culinary adventures are a good example of me being a tad bit overambitious in the kitchen, the telltale sign being a refrigerator full of leftovers. So there will be no cooking on my part today. That should take care of the week's leftover bounty, and give me plenty of time to brainstorm ways of using up yesterday's farmers' market finds:

Swiss chard

(From left to right) Fresh dill and Tuscan kale

A huge pomegranate
Pomegranates are definitely in season, and half the farmers' market stands were selling them, compelling me to purchase one out of sheer curiousity. I've never cooked with pomegranate, so it'll be interesting to see what I actually end up doing with it. A few stands were also selling Fuyu persimmons, which I absolutely adore, so it's only a matter of time for the fruit from my parents' persimmon tree to ripen--during which time I'll be sure to snag a few. I am already missing the wonderful stone fruits of summer, but all of the new season's beautiful produce look promising and I cannot wait to dive into cold weather cooking.

3 comments:

  1. I was dying to get a pomegranate at the market this week, but they were only selling them in baskets of five. I didn't think I could get through five all by myself.

    For your first time, I would just eat it straight up. The seeds are edible, so don't worry about spitting them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I nearly did just eat it when I got home from the market. I remember eating a pomegranate years ago, but these days I keep seeing the seeds in salads and some Middle Eastern dishes so it makes me want to be a little creative with it myself. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was dying to get a pomegranate at the market this week, but they were only selling them in baskets of five. I didn't think I could get through five all by myself.

    For your first time, I would just eat it straight up. The seeds are edible, so don't worry about spitting them out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)