04 October 2009

Morning Waffles, Pizza Dinner

So my pancake/waffle craving carried on into the morning. I consulted my handy copy of Vegan with a Vengeance (Moskowitz, 2005) and found that I had bookmarked the Oatmeal-Banana-Raisin Waffles recipe. I absolutely love VWAV, so I already knew that I'd like the waffles, despite having never tried a version that included oatmeal.
Raisins aren't really my thing, so I substituted a handful or two of toasted pecan pieces, which added a lovely crunch to contrast the softness of the waffles themselves. By the way, the outside gets nice and crispy after a brief reheat in the toaster. Yum.
To end my day, I made the pizza that was meant for last night. The Follow Your Heart vegan melting "cheese" I purchased during my last excursion to one of the rare groceries in this area to carry such a thing had not yet been put on pizza duty, and this seemed like as good a time as any to put it to a good melt test. Marinara made from the backyard heirloom tomatoes, seitan pepperoni slices (from a Fatfree Vegan Kitchen recipe), marinated artichokes quarters, and leftover sauteed chard rounded out the toppings for my simple, homemade crust.

It turns out that the cheese does, in fact, melt! Although it isn't stringy like actual mozzarella, the FYH cheese has a nice creamy texture and mild flavor that, paired with the vegan pepperoni, made this my most pizza-like pie yet. While I have become quite accustomed to indulging in meat- and cheese-less pizza since becoming vegan--and rather enjoy a simple veggie-sauce-crust combination, actually--I know now that I can satisfactorily include meat and cheese substitutions in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome way to start and end your day.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome way to start and end your day.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)