19 October 2009

Split Pea Soup

Mmmm, split pea soup. It's more like half soup, half stew, depending on the thickness of it. I tend to prefer it on the thick side, which makes it so hearty and filling. Tonight, I didn't use any particular recipe, opting to throw in whatever I could remember from the last time I made it. Beside the usual appearance of items like carrots, onions, and potatoes, I included a bit of barley, leeks, and several dashes of shoyu and hot sauce. There was garlic, celery, bay leaf, and thyme involved, and the dried split peas, of course. To serve it, I pulled out a mini sourdough boule from the freezer and toasted it up with the idea that it would be the perfect bowl for cradling an individual portion of the soup; in truth, it was a more like a bread cup, but no matter. I can't have soup without bread, whether it comes in cup, bowl, or a more normal form, and the bigger-than-a-roll-but-smaller-than-a-loaf boule served its purpose of turning hearty soup into a substantial dinner. The sourdough starter is out and fed, so there is more bread (possibly in boule form) to come in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)