15 October 2009

Sweet Things

It stopped raining, and we're back to stereotypical California sunshine and temperatures in the mid-70s. I had gotten used to more prolonged periods of cold temperatures living up north for the better part of the last five years, so I not only expected the wet weather to linger for more than a couple of days, but in truth, would really have preferred some indication that there are, indeed, seasons here. As an acquaintance recently put it, "We only have warm and hot." At least now it's dry enough outside to pick a few ripe Fuyu persimmons from the backyard tree. There are many of the sweet, vibrant orange beauties to be picked, but naturally the most ripe are too high for my reach. I simply love the fruit; unlike the more elongated Hachiya variety, which need to be very soft to the touch in order to eat them, Fuyu persimmons are still hard when ripe, yet the flesh is sweet and crisp. I managed to reach these this morning with a bit of climbing, but they could probably use a day or two to further ripen:

It being pumpkin season, I just had to find myself a sugar pumpkin or two and purchased these today. I'm excited to test out my pumpkin cooking skills soon.
And what else could October bring to tempt my sweet tooth? Candy, of course. Chocolate, to be more precise. Halloween is quite the reminder for indulging in unhealthy confections--bagged, sugary morsels in brightly-colored wrappers abound. And if there's one saccharine, unhealthy pairing I love, it's that of chocolate and nuts. Chocolate peanut butter cups are a familiar and decadent example of the choco-nut combination, and since I hadn't made any in awhile, I decided to whip up a few tonight. I eyeballed the amounts for each of the ingredients: natural, creamy, unsalted peanut butter (I prefer crunchy); confectioner's sugar; vegan graham cracker crumbs (from homemade crackers); roasted peanut pieces (to make them crunchier); and semi-sweet chocolate chips. I found some cute Halloween-themed mini-muffin paper liners and thought it only fitting to use them now. Festive and delicious. Thank goodness the candy is so rich; I shouldn't have the problem of eating too many in a single sitting, which is a good thing, indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I have to try this! Homemade vegan peanut butter cups! They look just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try this! Homemade vegan peanut butter cups! They look just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)