05 October 2009

Veganomicon: Spaghetti and Beanballs

You can't really go wrong with pasta. Spaghetti in particular is one of those pastas familiar to every American household. It usually reminds me of the scene in "Lady and the Tramp" in which the title characters share a plate of spaghetti and meatballs in the alley behind an Italian restaurant. But then I've seen "The Wedding Singer" enough times to also be reminded of the giant meatballs the old woman uses as payment for singing lessons from Adam Sandler's character. In any case, spaghetti and meatballs are clearly a dinnertime staple around here, and I thought it high time to cook up the vegan version I've been eyeing lately in Veganomicon (Moskowitz and Romero). I love that cookbook, by the way. Isa and Terry did an amazing job compiling so many wonderful, animal-free recipes into one mighty tome. I used the Spaghetti and Beanball recipe once before, although both times I didn't actually use the marinara recipe from the book; tonight I had leftover marinara I concocted from those heirloom tomatoes, and the first time I made the beanballs, I served them with a creamy vegan Swedish meatball-esque sauce. Anyway, tonight's beanballs were baked and served with the heirloom marinara over whole wheat spaghetti. It made for great comfort food. I think I'll use leftovers for beanball subs.

1 comment:

  1. I love the beanballs. I made the beanball sub recently from Veganomicon and all I can say is - sensational!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)