11 December 2009

Another Week, Another Cookbook, and More Good Food

You may or may not remember mention of my cookbook fixation.  I suppose anyone who loves to cook would have some feelings of attachment to cookbooks, and increasingly, online recipe databases and food blogs.  But there is nothing like setting a mighty tome of recipes atop the kitchen counter to procure good, old-fashioned marathon sessions in the kitchen.  I recently won a free copy of Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman's new cookbook, 500 Vegan Recipes (2009), and giddy with excitement for the the seemingly endless edible creations presented in it and the fact that I actually won something (very rare for me, indeed--thanks, Celine and Joni!), I very quickly realized that my kitchen fate for the week was sealed.  Although there were no marathon kitchen sessions to speak of, I did, of course, have to try at least a few dishes from yet another magnificent book.

Considering the volume of recipes provided, it will take quite awhile to get through all of them.  Here's what I've made from 500 Vegan Recipes so far:

Apple Sage Fauxsage
Not only was this very easy to make, its unique sweet-savory flavors were also quite tasty.  The apple-sage combination would work perfectly for an autumn feast.  I sliced some of the Fauxsage to serve with dill potatoes and sauteed chard.

Peanut Butter Pancakes
I don't know why I had never thought to make peanut butter pancakes until seeing this recipe; they were rich, nutty, and addictive.  Crunchy peanut butter would add lovely texture, as would semisweet chocolate chunks or chips (the peanut butter-chocolate combination is so deliciously classic).  This time around, I cooked up a quick batch of blackberry syrup to serve with the pancakes to give them that PB&J sandwich type of nostalgia.

Potato Bread
Two weeks after Thanksgiving, and there is still sweet potato puree lingering about.  I do love both sweet potatoes and bread, so combining the two to make a couple of soft, slightly sweet loaves of walnut-studded deliciousness was no issue at all.  I may consider using this recipe to make rolls in the very near future; in any case, I will be making this bread again.

There are so many recipes to try, I'm not even sure where to go from here.  I've marked quite a few of the recipes I want to try most urgently, so it looks like the most sensible thing to do is to approach them one at a time.  Undoubtedly, you'll see glimpses of my attempts at various recipes from Celine and Joni's book here in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)