17 December 2009

Eating at My Home Away From Home

For the next few days, I'll be taking a much-needed break from the disarray that is my normal life in southern California to visit Dear Big Sister and her boyfriend in Oakland.  It's always nice staying here with them.  And it's so much easier to eat well without necessarily having to cook for myself; there are either clearly-labeled (or more importantly, available) vegan dining options at many eating establishments in the area as well as actual completely vegetarian or vegan restaurants--a stark contrast to the food situation where I normally reside.  Despite the comparative ease I have with being able to lazily locate something good and filling to eat around here, my approach to this little trip has so far been very casual. This essentially means that I have foolishly not prepared for potential in-house meals, including this morning's breakfast situation, and have concluded that although I have half a grilled tempeh sandwich (tasty) leftover from last night's Herbivore outing, I'd rather go for the deliciously vegan Double Chocolate Cookie acquired yesterday from Nabolom Bakery.  Yum.
As it turns out, I baked up some cookies to bring to my gracious hosts, consulting Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar (2009) for a holiday-appropriate recipe that also happens to work out for breakfast with a cup of hot coffee or tea.  Gingerbread Biscotti, anyone?  So maybe it's not really breakfast, but I consider anything I eat in the morning "breakfast."  There's nothing like an unhealthy dose of cookies to start the day.
The plan is to eventually cook something during my time up north, which should be interesting for my non-vegan hosts, and fun, as always.  We'll see how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! You won the Kenzoil giveaway. I sent you an email just now. Just mail your address back, and I'll forward to the Kenzoil folks.

    Love the blog too (and that biscotti). I'm gonna have to add you to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)