06 February 2010

One Issue, Five Recipes

Whenever I find a recipe that sounds appetizing, I begin to mentally shuffle through the contents of the kitchen so that I can get cooking as soon as possible.  If I have enough of the ingredients for the foundation of a recipe, I usually try to make it with whatever alterations are necessary or better fit my taste preferences.  When I received the latest issue of Vegetarian Times a few weeks ago, it delighted me to see that many of the magazine's recipes not only sounded tasty, but also largely called for ingredients I use regularly.  With sparked interest, I set about making the following dishes from the February 2010 issue of Vegetarian Times, all with wonderful results:

Tempeh-Oatmeal Meatloaf
I didn't have herbes de Provence, so I used a dried Italian herb mix instead.

Smoky Split Pea Soup
With an abundance of red bell peppers on hand and absolutely no celery, I figured I could swap the two.  The soup turned out just fine, and I liked the added sweetness from the bell pepper.

Toasted Oat-Almond Muesli
I used maple syrup instead of agave--I love maple granola--and both dried cranberries and chopped, dried apricots.  This became quite an addicting snack.

Garlic and Kale Soup
Criminis replaced the shiitake mushrooms (another availability-based substitution).  This soup had such a wonderfully savory flavor.

Iced Oatmeal Cookies
These cookies remind me of a particular oatmeal cookie my older sister and I loved as kids.  I'm really no raisin fan, so I replaced the raisins with dried cranberries.  I also left half of the cookies un-iced, because they were sweet enough as-is (although the sweet lemon flavor of the icing does complement the cookie nicely).  My non-veg family really enjoyed these either way, so that's good enough for me.

I continue to eye the recipe for Minestrone with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and White Beans.  It's yet another recipe that calls for items I keep stocked in my kitchen.  I have a feeling I'll enjoy the soup, too, based upon the success of the magazine's other recipes, my love of minestrone in general, and my current soup mood.  I also just baked up some ciabatta, and being such a bread fanatic, I can see little better than warming up on this cold, rainy day with a hot bowl of soup and crusty bread.

4 comments:

  1. Everything on this page looks ridiculously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Everything was yummy, but I think my favorite of the recipes was the Garlic and Kale Soup. I love me some soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd better go back to my last VT issue. I only made the kale and garlic soup and after seeing your photos, I want to try the tempeh-oatmeal loaf — maybe tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything on this page looks ridiculously delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)