17 March 2010

More Cookies and Tempeh (But Not Together!)

My predetermined 14-day refined sugar cleanse goal is over, and I'm glad I gave it a shot.  As I've said before, I had been consuming far too many sugary treats during and after the holiday season, and my body and mind needed a break to get me started down a path toward greater sugar-consciousness.  Two weeks may not seem like a very impressive timeline, but steering clear of refined sugar during those 14 days has indeed increased my awareness of my own sugar consumption and continues to help me to not go overboard with trying to satisfy my seemingly endless cravings for sweets.  One thing that has helped in my commitment to veganism is to not view it in "diet" terms by seeing what I am not allowed to have, instead being open to what food I can incorporate into my lifestyle.  I am trying to take a similar approach with sugar, allowing myself to consume small amounts of refined sugar now and then in favor of occasional, naturally-sweetened goodies, or at least those using unrefined sugars.  And I'm trying to use this opportunity to incorporate more fresh, seasonal fruit into my lifestyle and to think of interesting, tasty ways to eat them.

But as I've also pointed out, I have not yet opted to completely eliminate sugar from my diet.  I am a sucker for a good cookie, and post-cleanse, wanted to find another recipe for a tasty, refined sugar-free treat to bake and share.  Blog-browsing and having several cookbooks at hand might sound convenient for this particular situation, and actually, it's not the lack of good resources that makes finding the right recipe difficult, but rather the inability to narrow down resources that gives me problems.  Having not yet devoted adequate time to cooking my way through 500 Vegan Recipes, I decided that should I come across a cookie recipe in it that fit my particular needs of the time, I would not consult anything else until I tried it.  And that's what happened.  I baked a lovely batch of Chewy Ginger Cookies, and they did not disappoint.  I used evaporated cane juice instead of Sucanat, and only slightly decreased the amount of ginger called for in the recipe (only because I always worry that the end results will be too gingery).  Yum!  They were chewy, sweet, warmly spiced, and everyone loved them.  And although the amount of ginger was fine this time around, I don't think I'll mind adding the full amount of ginger in future batches.

Despite having had few opportunities to cook this week, for some reason, I have also encountered some difficulty finishing last week's leftovers.  Yesterday, I still had a few pieces of lemon pepper tempeh in the fridge, and wondered what to do to rejuvenate them a bit.  I decided to chop the remaining tempeh in bite-sized pieces and toast them up in a dry, nonstick skillet with a few drizzles of shoyu.  After a few minutes and a few tosses in the pan, the tempeh was nice and crispy.  I ate it alongside blanched spinach with shoyu and sriracha and plain brown rice.  It no longer tasted very lemony, but it also didn't taste like leftovers anymore.  And actually, the meal was altogether quite tasty!

Hopefully, I'll be able to spend more time in the kitchen this week.  I feel like I haven't really cooked in quite awhile now, so I'm sure I'll be hitting the cookbooks and blogosphere very soon for inspiration.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats for the two weeks sugar cleanse :D I don't know if I would be able to do it. Well, actually I have done it during my first month of veganism, and not just for two weeks. I almost eliminated anything refined. Now, with the exams and the lack of time I have switched to a less natural diet again (although it is still a way healthier than most of the one people follow!), eating sweets from time to time.

    I've noticed that it's like TV: it's easier to avoid when you don't begin. If you eat a little, you will want more. Yeah, sugar is addictive :(

    PS: Thanks for stopping by my blog! I answered you on the same post, but I don't know if the "comment e-mail responder" plugin works. And I don't think avocado with sugar is strange at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on two weeks without sugar! I'm a sucker for a good cookie too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it through the sugar cleanse! I know how hard that is! The cookies look like a perfect post-cleanse treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Refined sugars and flours are my downfall and I think it's nice to hear so many supportive things while trying to take baby steps away from sugar addiction. :)

    Ksenia,
    Good point about TV being like sugar. And I'm glad you also don't think avocado with sugar is strange--it must just be my friends hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tempeh cookies? whats the problem? *shudder* lol trying to cut back on sugar over here also, just discovered how much better stevia liquid is compared to poder. night and day my fiend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! Refined sugars and flours are my downfall and I think it's nice to hear so many supportive things while trying to take baby steps away from sugar addiction. :)

    Ksenia,
    Good point about TV being like sugar. And I'm glad you also don't think avocado with sugar is strange--it must just be my friends hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on making it through the sugar cleanse! I know how hard that is! The cookies look like a perfect post-cleanse treat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)