11 March 2010

Satisfying a Sweet Tooth

I have always loved--and will always love--sweets.  To my family and friends, this is obvious, and there is no point denying it.  I have, however, become much more aware of my sugar intake during my journey to better understand and monitor my health.  As a result, I try to moderate both the amounts and types of sweeteners I consume (although I have let myself indulge a few times).  I actually even prefer cooking up savory dishes over baking desserts these days.  At the moment, I'm nearly two weeks into a sugar cleanse (a much-needed post-holiday/birthday/anniversary season manuever), during which I am avoiding refined sugars and trying to limit natural sweeteners.  While the cleanse has not been all that difficult a commitment, it isn't without its challenges.  As much as I love fruit, apples, strawberries, and oranges can only do so much to satisfy my epic sweet tooth.

I'm going out of town tomorrow to spend the weekend with one of my closest friends.  Long-standing tradition (and by now, force of habit) dictates that I bring some sort of confection whenever I visit friends, so having concurrently committed to a sugar cleanse, I welcomed the challenge to fashion some sweet treats without the convenience of refined sugar.  Why let it all die now?  I knew I could stick to the cleanse while still honoring tradition.   It's been awhile since I've had a cookie, anyway.

And oh how I love Isa and Terry's newest little book of wonders, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.  The "Wholesome Cookies" chapter includes a few recipes for refined sugar-free goodies, and that is exactly where I came across the fabulous Peanut Butter Agave Cookies.  As the name suggests, agave is the primary sweetener here, with a bit of brown rice syrup also contributing sweetness and complementary flavor.  For my batch, I increased the amount of whole wheat pastry flour called for in the recipe, and went with crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy.  Chewy yet crisp, housing old-school peanut butter cookie nostalgia with a new-school, caramel-y touch, the cookies turned out delicious and just sweet enough to end a cookie craving.

I'm sure my friend and our host (we're staying at her brother's house) will love these!  Well, I hope so at least.  If they don't, it just leaves more cookies for me!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I must make these! I'm trying to limit my refined sugar intake to one small dessert item per day (like a bit of chocolate or one cookie). So no sugar in my coffee (agave instead) and no added sugars in food items when I can help it. It doesn't always work that way, but I'm trying. If I made these, I might be able to make it through a whole day with no refined sugar ... since even my dessert would be refined sugar free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to beat a classic PB cookie... Of course, sweetening them with agave is definitely a step up from the original!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)