05 July 2010

Tired of Veggie Dogs Yet?

If the answer to that question is "yes," well, I completely agree.  But as much as I wanted not to pay homage to Independence Day grilling by eating faux hot dogs this weekend...I did.  And I went so far as to go the Smart Dog route, gracing my refrigerator with those low-calorie-but-pretty-bland soy products in tube form.  Apparently, those things last for quite awhile, because I actually bought the package as part of a last-ditch scramble for something edible to bring to the Memorial Day grill fest (back in...May?), but never ended up opening it.  According to the "best by" date, I could have waited until September before giving it a second look, but by then I'm sure the very thought of such a long shelf life would have alarmed me enough to discard the package altogether.

To be fair, I never purchase anything I outright dislike, so while it may sound like I'm being a veggie dog hater right now, I'm not; it's just that were I more prepared for the inevitable Fourth of July barbecue, I would likely have opted for a faux dog-less protein source in favor of something more creative.  I did, however, manage to make something at least a little bit different by combining the Smart Dogs with my favorite snack.  Behold, the Whole Wheat Sourdough Pretzel Veggie Dog.
Clearly, I never tire of baking pretzels, nor do I tire of consuming them in large quantities.  Or telling everyone about it.  (The weather has been downright cool this week--the marine layer lasts for quite awhile in the mornings--so I have had no reason so far this summer to not use the oven...just in case you thought it odd to be baking in July.)  This latest pretzel extravaganza was meant to happen on Saturday, but because I didn't get around to baking that day, I just let the dough rise in the fridge overnight before pulling it out to sit at room temperature the next morning.  I again consulted the recipe I always use, substituting real-deal butter with vegan butter.  I also gave them the whole wheat treatment, using a sizable whole-wheat-to-bread-flour ratio, and substituted the sugar with barley malt syrup.  The pretzel dog idea was borne out of mid-pretzel-twisting contemplation.  I basically wrapped a bit of dough about the middle of each link, boiled them as I did the regular pretzels, and baked them in likewise fashion.  This time around, I baked my batch at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes to achieve a darker, crispier crust.


The pretzels themselves were delicious, as always.  And the pretzel dogs weren't bad, either.  Because mustard is not my condiment of choice for veggie dogs or pretzels (or anything, for that matter), I dunked my pretzel dog in ever-reliable sriracha.  I contemplated going one step further in employing my favorite edibles by heating up some frozen tempeh chili to top the dog, but by the time the batch was cooked through, my level of hunger dictated immediate devouring of said dog.  I do have a few leftover, so the chili may make an appearance in the very near future.  I hope my fellow Americans out there also enjoyed some tasty Fourth of July eats!

7 comments:

  1. I've never had a pretzel dog. I know they sell them at malls, and I always think- I bet that would be good veganized! And they do look good! :) Mmm.. now I really have a craving for a pretzel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I never tire of veggie dogs! I love, love, love 'em. And wrapped in a whole wheat pretzel is even better. And dipped in sriracha! You're speaking my language, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds so delicious, Tiff! Oh and I love your blog subtitle! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Great idea :D Something different then the usual veggie dog. I put kimchi on mine yesterday, so it helped to change it up a little

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I think I have to try those. I am a total üpretzel addict and I can imagine how good this must be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I think I have to try those. I am a total üpretzel addict and I can imagine how good this must be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had a pretzel dog. I know they sell them at malls, and I always think- I bet that would be good veganized! And they do look good! :) Mmm.. now I really have a craving for a pretzel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)