11 September 2010

Easy Fudge Fix

Although it occurs rather infrequently, I do come across individuals who are rather apathetic toward their own chocolate consumption; they might nosh on the occasional chipper or Oreo, but when it comes to indulging in decadently rich cocoa confection, they can take them or leave them.  That's all perfectly fine, of course.  My sister is one such individual.  She enjoys chocolate in small doses but usually prefers fruity over chocolaty dessert options, rarely purchases fudge or candy bars, and never eats chocolate ice cream (because it "doesn't taste like chocolate"--fair enough).  I have even heard rumors of people who flat-out dislike chocolate, vehemently, even, but I have yet to actually meet someone fitting such a description.  I may not embody the polar opposite, stereotyped "chocoholic," but I must admit, my taste for the chocolate has been lifelong and doesn't look to die anytime soon.  And a gal like me still needs the occasional cocoa fix.

When chocolate chip cookies are a little too tame but I don't feel like making brownies, I like to satisfy that craving for a little decadence instead with fudgy cookies.  The flavor and textural similarities between these and gussied-up brownies actually makes differences between the two treats marginal, but I like to think that there is some variety in my chocolate indulgences.  For awhile now, I have consulted this recipe from VegWeb, but over time have adapted it to the point where my version is rather different from the original.
Fudge Fix Cookies (adapted from a VegWeb recipe) (printable recipe)
Yields approximately 2 dozen

1/4 c vegan butter
2 T unsalted peanut butter (I prefer crunchy)
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/3 c molasses
1 T milled flaxseed
3 T warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c rolled oats
1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed and water well, until viscous.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream vegan butter and peanut butter.  Add brown sugar and molasses, and mix until well-combined.  Add flaxseed mixture and the extracts, and mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Stir the dry mixture into the wet, until just combined.  Gently stir in oats and chocolate chips.  Drop dough in approximately two tablespoonful amounts, one to two inches apart, on prepared baking sheets.  Flatten the dough mounds slightly, then bake for 10 minutes.  The cookie tops should no longer look glossy, with the interiors still soft and gooey.  After removing the cookies from the oven, allow them to remain on the pans for five minutes to firm up a bit before removing them to wire racks to cool more.

The molasses accentuates the deep cocoa flavor of the cookies, while the peanut butter adds richness and nuttiness.  These fudgy morsels are quite decadent and best served warm, but they are still delicious the next day, if they haven't disappeared before then.  Enjoy!
******

Having nothing to do with chocolate--although it's just as sweet--Dianne from Singer Eats recently passed along a Most Versatile Blogger Award.  Thanks, Dianne--I'm so flattered!  Recipients are to share seven facts about themselves (if they so choose), so I thought I'd have some fun and keep the ball rolling.  So here are some little extras about me:

1. I am the smack-dab-in-the-middle middle child of my family; approximately 12 years separate me from both my younger brother and older brother, and I'm also flanked in the sibling line by two sisters (one younger, one older).

2. I have a longtime fascination with stringed instruments and have always wanted to learn to play the harp, koto, or sitar.  Unfortunately, despite having several friends with adept guitar- and bass-playing skills, my own have so far not progressed beyond a few guitar chords, partly due to the difficulty of trying to play with short fingers and almost ironic lack of instruction (I'm still shy and proximity is an issue).

3. I minored in Religious Studies at university and earned a B.A. in Psychology.

4. I took three years of German language classes in high school and a refresher course at university, but never reached the point of fluency.  I can still understand, speak, and write some German, but I'm a bit rusty.  I hope to attain fluency someday.

5. I have never been stung by a bee, so I really have no clue whether I am allergic to bee stings.

6. I cried during my first exposure to Bollywood by my freshman dorm roommate several years ago.  I still really like it and will pretty much watch anything starring Shahrukh Khan or Aamir Khan.

7. Maybe due to having lived the vast majority of my life in this coastal town, I get a little nervous when I spend extended periods of time far inland, away from large bodies of water.  For some reason, it is comforting to know that the ocean is nearby.

So there you have it.  Now that you know a bit about me, it's time to hear from some of you, should you be willing to participate in award recipient duties (completely optional, of course).  It's difficult to limit the selection to just five, but here goes.  I'd like to pass along the Most Versatile Blogger Award to the following lovely bloggers:




Zoa of The Airy Way
Meeps of Alien's Day Out
Carissa of Coffee & Sunshine
Aimee of theglobalvegan
Kerri of I Eat Trees

I'm a little shy about these things, so if any of you happen to be reading this right now, congrats!  And to anyone else--I've said it before, but it's worth repeating--know that I always very much appreciate that you deem this humble space worthy of your time and attention.  So thanks, everyone--you're all awesome!

5 comments:

  1. The cookies look great! I used to be a chocolate hater, then a cautious consumer, now an occasional dabbler. I don't eat it every day, or even every week, but I like bittersweet chocolate in baked goods that aren't too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, thanks Tiffany! I am new to the world of blog awards....you just gave me my first!!! I, too, long to play a stringed instrument, but never have. The last time I tried flamenco guitar with one of my former band mates, my fingers bled!
    I know what you mean about the ocean. I went from Hawaii to Walla Walla, Washington two weeks ago...a vastly different lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fudgy cookies! And with peanut butter?! Sold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww.. thank you so much!! I need that pick-me-up today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww.. thank you so much!! I need that pick-me-up today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)