20 September 2010

More Noodle Love

So last time I talked about my attempt at making Vegan Dad's fresh noodles, I had not yet prepared any proper sort of dish; I only tasted the noodles lightly dressed in garlic oil--a tasty treatment, but also a very limited means of showcasing the egg noodle vegan facsimiles' sturdy but tender texture that makes them so versatile.  I did, however, end up working more with these handmade beauties.  Here's a look at the results.


Haluski
Along with his recipe for the noodles themselves, Vegan Dad posted a fabulous-looking recipe for this traditional Polish dish of cabbage and noodles.  I would have consulted it, but by the time I decided to make the dish, I was already rather hungry and decided to wing it.  My spontaneous, simplified dish included Napa cabbage, vegan butter, onion, garlic, caraway seeds, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and of course, the homemade noodles.  Although the haluski didn't look quite as lovely as Vegan Dad's version, the noodles held up beautifully and it was all quite delicious.  It reaffirmed my belief that the simplest dishes can be some of the most comforting.


Vegetable Noodle Soup
This was a wonderful vegan substitute for old-fashioned chicken noodle soup.  My animal-free soup was a hodge podge of ingredients, many of which needed to be used up: more flax noodles (cut short) and cabbage, pinto beans, firm tofu, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, vegetarian chicken broth, salt, and pepper.  It was hearty, but not too heavy, and yet another comforting dish.


A hunk of fresh, homemade bread was the perfect accompaniment for the soup.  I grabbed a hefty piece of Vienna Bread, created from a slightly modified version of the recipe in Peter Reinhart's amazing tome, The Bread Baker's Apprentice.  I made my version egg-less and substituted the dairy butter with vegan butter.  I made both the regular version and one with the mottled topping (i.e., Dutch crunch); both loaves were soft and flavorful, thanks to the use of pate fermentee, but unfortunately, my mottled topping didn't attain the intended mottled look.  Despite the odd appearance, the bread was a tasty way to satisfy my carbohydrate needs and a wonderful vessel to sop up soup broth.

6 comments:

  1. I sooooo need to make soup! You have inspired me! Your food look delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your noodles look amazing! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the looks of that "chicken noodle soup"...and that artisan bread....WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I first learned about Halushki from the Urban Vegan blog....I happen to have some cabbage in the fridge right now. This will be lunch.

    Your bread looks so good! I want to bite right into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first learned about Halushki from the Urban Vegan blog....I happen to have some cabbage in the fridge right now. This will be lunch.

    Your bread looks so good! I want to bite right into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sooooo need to make soup! You have inspired me! Your food look delish! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)