15 September 2010

Noodle Love

There was a time in which I practically lived off pasta.  It's so easy to throw together a noodle dish--with myriad potential combinations of the type, shape, sauce, and add-ins--that I defaulted quite often to this vague but satisfying starch-fest on a plate.  It made for many cheap, quick "homemade" meals for a busy (sometimes lazy) university student.  Noodle-based dishes of varying culinary styles still frequent my cooking repertoire, because sometimes they're the perfect things for quelling serious comfort food cravings.


I have always wanted to try my hand at making fresh, homemade noodles of some sort, so when Vegan Dad recently posted a recipe for eggless "egg" noodles, I knew fresh noodles were in my near future.  It worked out perfectly, too, because I had some unused soy creamer nearing expiration, once intended for ice cream that just never happened.  While a pasta roller would have been convenient for my noodle venture, I unfortunately don't own one; I went the old school, hand-rolled and -cut route.  It was a little tedious to flatten the stiff dough out to ideal thinness using a rolling pin, but with some patience and a little muscle, it worked out fine.
Once dried and cut, I boiled only a very small amount of noodles and decided upon dressing them simply in order to sample the flavor of the noodles themselves.  I heated just a bit of extra virgin olive oil with crushed garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes, then tossed in the boiled and drained pasta.  A squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped parsley finished my pasta sampling. It turned out to be a tasty few bites; the flax-soy creamer combination resulted in something very reminiscent of egg noodles--sans eggs, of course.  Homemade noodles were certainly worth the time and effort that went into making them, so I encourage you all to experience the process for yourselves sometime, if you haven't already.
******


In keeping with the fellow-blogger-shout-out-love, I'll briefly mention the fabulous giveaway going on over at Vegan in the Sun.  Check out Taymer's blog for details.  And while you're at it, get ready for the forthcoming release of her cookbook, Caribbean Vegan.  The cover alone is beautiful and based on the recipes I was privileged to test earlier this year, I can tell you that the food is bound to be amazing!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with the perfectly even noodles you made. I don't think a pasta machine could have made them better! (Maybe faster and easier, but not better.:D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are gorgeous noodles! They certainly look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was intrigued with VeganDad's eggless noodles too when I saw his post. Yours turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you don't own a pasta rolle. because those look just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed with the perfectly even noodles you made. I don't think a pasta machine could have made them better! (Maybe faster and easier, but not better.:D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was intrigued with VeganDad's eggless noodles too when I saw his post. Yours turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)