15 October 2010

Gone Bananas

If I had more freezer space, I wouldn't continue to have issues with a banana surplus.  I could store them away in that frozen abyss, then retrieve them at will for smoothies and raw frozen "yogurt."  But the reality is that my freezer is perpetually and unreasonably packed to the brim, and that doesn't coincide well with the occasionally mistimed purchase of quickly-ripening tropical fruit.  So I work with what I have in order to avoid waste.  Thankfully, that has proven rather successful, churning out various banana-flavored delectables and forcing me to continue to try to flex my creativity.


This time around, rather than trying to create dishes from my own imagination, I referenced two cookbooks I should really be using more often than I do, and in fact, am deciding right now to fit into my regular cooking regime: Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman's 500 Vegan Recipes and Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero's Veganomicon.  Both epic tomes of vegan deliciousness really do deserve more of my attention, especially given the general success and satisfaction garnered by their consultation.


The first of the banana-themed treats came in the form of Banana Peanut Oat Breakfast Biscuits, courtesy of 500 Vegan Recipes.  Everything about them sounded wonderful.  How could I not love a yeast-risen bread that looked to be a combination of a classic peanut butter-banana sandwich and morning oatmeal all in one?  And I did really enjoy these subtly sweet, nutty, fluffy biscuits.  They were perfectly lovely warm from the oven, but a smear of homemade, vegan dulce de leche made them that much tastier.  It turns out that they toast up well, too.
I went for a more classic banana-infused treat during round two of baking: banana bread.  Specifically, I baked up two loaves of Lower-Fat Banana Bread from Veganomicon, saving one to send home with my visiting friend from the Bay, and the other to enjoy with her that morning.  I used only a pinch of nutmeg and included a teaspoon vanilla extract in each batch.  I also folded in approximately 1/4 cup of vegan dulce de leche globs into each batch before baking.  The results featured a moist, tender, tasty bread, dotted with gooey, melted pockets of sweetness.    My visitor and I both enjoyed the banana bread over the course of a few days, and I'm glad to say my friend seemed excited about bringing that second loaf back home.
So here's a question I have for you, dear readers: What do you do when in possession of overripe bananas?  Are there certain go-to recipes you use?  As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. Bananas are one of my favorite things to bake with but I have a really hard time keeping them around long enough for them to become overripe. I eat one for breakfast almost every morning so if I want to save some to bake with I have to hide them from myself!
    Assuming that succeeds, I often make banana bread or the Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies or Banana Oatmeal Cookies from How it all Vegan! (Barnard and Kramer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love banana bread (my go-to is that Veganomicon recipe), but since my naners usually go in smoothies, cereal, or melted into oatmeal, it doesn't really matter if they're overripe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how could I miss those biscuits?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love banana bread and haven't made any in awhile. That picture looks great can't wait to try the Veganomicon recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love banana bread and haven't made any in awhile. That picture looks great can't wait to try the Veganomicon recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love banana bread (my go-to is that Veganomicon recipe), but since my naners usually go in smoothies, cereal, or melted into oatmeal, it doesn't really matter if they're overripe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)