14 October 2010

Simple Things

Life has been overwhelming lately.  It continues to be an epic swirl of good, bad, and the ambiguous in-between, varying in intensity that seems to arise in spurts.  Consequently, cooking and writing about it have dropped down my priority list, but I'm hoping to regain the interest, time, and momentum necessary to make it through the quickly approaching Vegan MoFo this year.  In the meantime, I'll share with you some photos taken from my backyard.  There is something bittersweet about these images, perhaps marked by the seasonal transition they represent.  The cheerful orange and red seem so inviting, but I can't help but feel a little sad that those bursts of color are few; they are indicative of the utter fruitlessness of plants that normally thrive in their respective harvest seasons.  The silver lining is that this is only the first year during which so little of the backyard produce has been so absent.

Persimmon tree, with literally one remaining fruit gracing its leafy branches.
Heirloom cherry tomatoes.
Despite the bleak lack of fruit, I appreciate the beauty in sparseness.  I just hope that next year, the plants will thrive once again.

2 comments:

  1. I am soory to hear things are overwhelming. Hang in there. Wow, a persimmon tree. I never saw one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soory to hear things are overwhelming. Hang in there. Wow, a persimmon tree. I never saw one before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)