17 October 2010

A Valid Excuse

Happy belated World Bread Day, everyone!  Here I am, a lifelong, dedicated lover of that beacon of carbohydrate-laden comfort, and I nearly missed this annual dedication to my favorite comestible.  Again.  I really don't require an excuse for baking or consuming bread, but it's difficult for me to pass one up if it can potentially make my obsession look a little less...obsessive.  My thanks go out to various individuals from around the blogosphere for once bringing my attention to this dubious but brilliant celebration of starchy goodness.


Having spent half of yesterday unknowingly indulging in neither bread making nor eating, I was unprepared for either activity.  I chose to make something fairly plain that wouldn't require lengthy fermentation once I realized my folly.  Opting for simplicity, I cooked up a batch of basic flat bread, adapting a recipe from Arabic Bites.  I substituted almond milk for water to yield softer bread, used equal parts all-purpose and whole wheat flours, and rather than baking the dough, I grilled the discs on a nonstick pan over a medium-low flame.  I only made a few miniature rounds, leaving more larger-sized discs for utilizing in wraps or as foundations for quick-and-easy pizzas.  The bread turned out beautifully soft, delicious plain or smothered with hummus.
The celebration of all things bread continued this morning, albeit not intentionally.  I actually just needed to use up the remaining overripe bananas, so another round of banana bread baking ensued.  I essentially baked it just as I had the last loaf, but slightly reduced the sugar and folded a generous handful of chopped walnuts into the batter.  Fortunately, the bread is tasty enough that I won't mind a second consecutive week of snacking on the banana- and caramel-laced treat.

4 comments:

  1. Had no idea it was Bread Day- lol! What a great day to celebrate, and beautiful job on your breads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made flat bread. Yours looks delicious. Something tells me that my cast iron pan would be perfect for grilling some up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, wonderful bread-y offerings! I haven't made flatbread in ages, and now some experimentation seems very overdue... Yours looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made flat bread. Yours looks delicious. Something tells me that my cast iron pan would be perfect for grilling some up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)