22 November 2010

Cooking to Make Space

Given the amount of cooking that happens in my house, it's reasonable to wonder about the fate of potential leftovers.  Remains of any dish typically scatter to various hands, if not to my plate for consecutive days.  When there is a particularly hefty yield of food, I typically freeze a large portion of it, with the intention of exhausting the supply over the next few months.  This arrangement occasionally leads to surprising finds when I inevitably deem it time to relieve the freezer of select contents, despite having previously encountered whatever items happen to be of renewed interest.

A comparable incident occurred today as I rummaged through frozen miscellany.  Happening upon a sizable serving of homemade gnocchi, I was inspired to use it as a starchy base for leftover Mushroom Gravy.  Chunks of Pumpkin Fauxsage--another freezer discovery--added protein, and a handful of chopped, blanched spinach rounded out the concoction.  The savory gravy, dense dumplings, and chewy seitan made for a humble, yet hearty and tasty combination.  The bonus is that I now have a few more nooks of space in the refrigerator and freezer for future cooking ventures.

4 comments:

  1. Pumpkin faux sausages? How did I miss that recipe?! I'm going to grab my copy of 500 vegan recipes now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin faux sausages? How did I miss that recipe?! I'm going to grab my copy of 500 vegan recipes now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)