03 November 2010

Heat Wave

Although we've already reached November, summer still refuses to give way to autumn.  For a blissfully cool week or so, being able to sport shawls and scarves through year's end seemed more than just a whimsical thought; a few choice knits had their fair share of cameos and I had reasons to bake with abandon in preparation for the holiday season.  Within days, the rain stopped, clouds retreated to reveal endlessly clear skies, and the sun re-emerged at full strength.  Thanksgiving is within sight, but mid-80s temperatures all week have made the days seem more befitting of August than November.  Frankly, I am not fond of summer or the type of weather characterizing it, so the heat is hardly ideal, especially this late in the year.

Fortunately, I at least have Pistachio Gelato to cool me down, improve my mood, and divert my attention from the latest California heat wave.  I spotted the recipe for the luscious frozen treat on Simply Gluten-Free back in September and finally made my own batch a few weeks ago, which I've miraculously managed not to utterly devour.  The ingredients are few, the process is simple, and the results are delicious; a quick spin in the ice cream maker turns an amalgam of little more than pistachios, water, and sugar into an delectably nutty, vegan gelato whose creamy texture rivals that of its dairy-filled counterparts.  It is remarkably similar to Scream Sorbet's delightful pistachio creation and stands as a lovely substitute--a treat for those of us without instant access to the Oakland-based company's wonderful sorbets.
Neither the gelato nor my heat tolerance will last for much longer, so I hope the current weather anomaly disappears soon...

12 comments:

  1. HOLY COW that looks awesome
    I mean, HOLY TOFU that looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heat Wave? Where are you!?!?! Haha! The gelato looks great, I love pistachios!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, pistachio gelato? YUM! Wish I had a heat wave to survive, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have pistachios, you have gelato, you have heat. I am coming over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Yum! I love Pistachios!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just took a look at this recipe-very neat! I always soak cashews to make a creamy pasta or cheese, but I never would have thought to do something like this-nice...
    Oh, and Happy Vegan Month of Food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had heat here... that gelato looks perfect for it! Also, now I want an ice cream machine... I love pistachios!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had heat here... that gelato looks perfect for it! Also, now I want an ice cream machine... I love pistachios!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heat Wave? Where are you!?!?! Haha! The gelato looks great, I love pistachios!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)