23 November 2010

Holiday Travel

I apologize for yet another abbreviated post, but I'm only now getting settled at my sister's house in the Bay.  The familiar, hours-long drive is still draining and family visits present their own exhausting qualities.  The presence of relatives will increase significantly over the next two days, culminating in a larger-than-normal Thanksgiving gathering, so I will have little time to blog, although I will try my best to share daily food musings.


I've mentioned previously that I usually travel with at least one sugary treat to share with friends, hosts, and hostesses.  I continued the trend this visit by baking a batch of Magical Coconut Cookie Bars from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.  After repeatedly considering this scrumptious-sounding baked good--chock-full of chunky sweetness--I finally indulged my curiosity by attempting these rich bars, swapping the pecans for almonds due to greater supply of the latter.  Indeed, the bars were delectable and quite decadent.  The only issue I had was with the softness of the graham cracker base.  The photo in Terry and Isa's book shows pristine blocks of distinct layers of chocolate, coconut, and nuts, bound together with the sweetened coconut filling atop firm graham cracker crust.  My bars, in contrast, were somewhat sloppier and probably more malleable than the authors intended.  Textural issue aside, the bars boasted wonderful flavor, providing a sweet ending for this tiring day.

5 comments:

  1. Mmm yum, they might not look exactly like the ones in the book but they look insanely good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bars look amazing!

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those bars amazing! Now that's a treat I'd like to travel with :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those bars amazing! Now that's a treat I'd like to travel with :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm yum, they might not look exactly like the ones in the book but they look insanely good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)