08 November 2010

Light Lunch

It's hard to believe we're already a full week into this year's Vegan MoFo.  Trawling the vegan blog world is one formidable task, given the impressive number of MoFo participants, but I certainly enjoy reading the food-centric musings of fellow bloggers during this epic month of vegan food celebration.  I am trying to harness that creativity and enthusiasm and direct it into my own kitchen, where, most sadly and unfortunately, I have been unable to spend as much time as hoped during recent weeks.


Nevertheless, food I've managed to procure from scattered blocks of leisure time have, for the most part, proven satisfying.  Today's lunch was no exception.  Having decided this morning that soup would make an appropriately quick and light lunch, I planned to cook Lemon-Pepper Soup (Neembu Rasam) from Madhu Gadia's The Indian Vegan Kitchen.  I sporadically plan my meals, but anticipated the need to allocate time for soaking dried legumes--the soup required soaked pigeon peas (toor dal)--and fortunately, acted accordingly.  The soup is little more than legumes in a lightly spiced broth, the flavor is unique and rather pleasant.  Ably balancing spicy and tangy elements, this simple soup was a delicious, comforting, and filling reminder of what makes Gadia's cookbook a treasured component of my recipe library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)