29 November 2010

Mmmm Muffins

I was still relatively picky about food not too long ago, considering few foods appetizing.  Collectively, items I would have willingly consumed as a child would likely not constitute a well-rounded diet, as I shunned most fruits and vegetables--oddly enough, I have always enjoyed spinach--their dehydrated forms automatically despised.  I was the little girl who never wanted an oatmeal raisin cookie, relenting only if the treat contained chocolate chips, in which case I would pluck each shriveled fruit from its snug cookie pocket.


Over the last year, I've developed a liking for a variety of dried fruit.  I may snack on a small handful of sweet-tart cranberries or mango strips and can even tolerate the occasional raisin.  Dried blueberries are another story; I enjoy them fresh and frozen, but they retain an odd, non-berry-like flavor when sweetened and dried.  Ironically, I have a substantial store of them on hand at the moment--the undesired residue of a dried fruit blend that included more palatable components.  Being averse to avoidable waste, I contemplated tasty means of dwindling the blueberry surplus, wondering whether they could contribute to a decent baked good.  A plethora of berry-inclusive recipes exist--many of them classics, such as quick bread--so deciding among them was mostly a matter of narrowing down options.
Scones sounded tempting, but I instead settled upon adapting this muffin recipe from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen, replacing the cranberries with blueberries.  I also omitted the agave (the dried berries were already sweetened), reduced the sugar to a half cup, and used finely chopped candied orange peel instead of fresh zest.  The resulting muffins were tender and of the perfect sweetness.    In fact, they are like a typical muffin that uses fresh berries, but without the gooey purple mess.  Studded with softened, chewy berries that lost their precooked, off-putting flavor and kissed with the brightness of citrus, the muffins were a delightful snack to enjoy with a hot cup of tea.  Based on the success of this dried berry experiment, I may try scones when I next feel the need to reduce the blueberry supply.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, is right, those muffins look so good! YUM, I love blueberries! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, is right, those muffins look so good! YUM, I love blueberries! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)