27 November 2010

On a Roll

It's hard to believe that this is already the final weekend of Vegan MoFo.  The blog world is still buzzing with vegan food love around the clock, even as the time for marathon posting nears it end. Out-of-town travel and family time have made recipe development and detailed posting infrequent. But I will continue to make time for that daily post.  After the weekend, upon returning to my regular kitchen, I hope to close out the month with more interesting and substantial food and accompanying musings.


One evening before leaving for the holidays, I developed a sudden craving for quinoa, so I decided to cook a batch of the grain-like seeds.  Rather than use it in a pilaf or salad, I tried cooked quinoa as a rice substitute in sushi.  I used the vinegar seasoning outlined for sushi rice in The Enlightened Kitchen, Mari Fujii's wonderful Japanese Buddhist temple cuisine cookbook.  The sushi filling consisted simply of leftover broccoli slaw tossed with shoyu and sriracha.  Although the roll was a bit messy to assemble--between the veggie shreds and quinoa, there were more than a few stray bits to contain--tight coiling of the roasted nori-wrapped bundle prevented the sushi from falling apart.  Sweet, savory, and a little spicy, the quinoa sushi was a pleasant-tasting, more protein-filled alternative to the average vegetable roll.  I enjoy rice too much to make a permanent switch to rice-less sushi, but I wouldn't mind the occasional grain (or in this case, pseudo-grain) swap.

4 comments:

  1. I have never tried quinoa in sushi, but these look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, I would've never thought of this - clever! I will have to try this someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried quinoa in sushi, but these look great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)