17 November 2010

Plans

Amidst indulging my miscellaneous kitchen-related whims, cooking what happens to strike my fancy (within my means, of course) on any given day, I realized that I have absolutely no clue what to contribute to my family's Thanksgiving table.  A week from tomorrow, the small gathering that normally occurs at my parents' house (my childhood home) will not only be transplanted to the Bay area, but will also include twice as many guests.  As the sole vegan of the bunch, I will most likely need to dictate whatever I plan on consuming during this day of epic feasting; when it comes to this particular meal, my family holds rather rigidly to their preferred dishes and ways of preparing them--none of which happen to be vegan-friendly.  The familiarity of the kitchen and company, as well as an abundance of prep time, allowed me to cook what I pleased at last year's gathering, so I certainly felt satiated by night's end.  But the uniqueness of the conditions involved with this year's event may limit the vegan food presence.  I don't even know whether I'll bother cooking an entree to suit vegan and omni palates alike; perhaps underlying anxiety, or (gasp) a degree of apathy sneakily urges me toward an easy out, such as whipping up a few simple, last-minute sides and heating up a frozen, single-portion vegan pot pie (delicious, to be sure, but quite the opposite of the customary cook-fest).  I sense a real lack of motivation, but I suspect I just need inspiration.  An emphasis on a whole foods approach seems most appropriate for this particular gathering--I find that some of the omni guests won't warm up too well to items like meat analogues, for example--and will continue to try to develop my mini-menu.  Any recommendations for dishes to prepare are most welcome!


And if all else fails, perhaps I'll just bring along homemade bread--perhaps a batch of Spiced Pumpkin Bagels and hope it fuels my creativity.
I made a few adjustments to this recipe, using roasted and pureed cushaw, a blend of bread and whole wheat flours, more cinnamon, less ginger and nutmeg, apple cider instead of orange juice, and barley malt syrup and molasses instead of brown sugar. I also included a pinch of cloves for additional autumnal essence.  Rather than making eight regular-sized bagels, I rolled a dozen mini-bagels.  They turned out nicely spiced, just a bit sweet, chewy.  The bagels were rather tasty with sweet and savory adornments alike, but somehow even a bagel sandwich made with one of these lovely gems seems an ill-fitting component of Thanksgiving dinner...

5 comments:

  1. Tiffany-
    Thanks for the link back to my recipe. I am so glad you tried them and I am even more pleased you made them your way. I have said many times about my recipes, make it for you make it your own! Thanks for stopping by. Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! Seriously! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don't end up eating only bread for TG dinner. My family has been pretty awesome over the years about veganizing the side dishes--letting them know about Earth Balance, for instance, or even providing it myself, has helped. Apathy's cool to the extent that you don't need to cook for everyone. A vegan pot pie for you is a good idea. I always try to come up with one side dish my whole family adores--lately it's been Brussels sprouts with a green sauce--if I feel like bringing a meat substitute, I do, but usually I just have the side dishes and that's generally more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god, those bagels look and sound insane!!!!! I was on a real bagel kick for a while, but now my freezer is stocked with various other bread products. Once I make my way through, I look forward to returning to the glorious world of homemade bagels.

    Our Thanksgiving will be greatly reduced in vegans this year (from our regular 7 to only 2-3)... so I just went out and bought a celebration roast. And of course there will be all the veggie sides like roasted brussels and roasted butternut and such. Most years I make tamales, which are always a hit. Anyhow, I think the pot pie sounds delicious! I usually like to make something yummy to share... in order to gradually spread the good word of veganism. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just don't end up eating only bread for TG dinner. My family has been pretty awesome over the years about veganizing the side dishes--letting them know about Earth Balance, for instance, or even providing it myself, has helped. Apathy's cool to the extent that you don't need to cook for everyone. A vegan pot pie for you is a good idea. I always try to come up with one side dish my whole family adores--lately it's been Brussels sprouts with a green sauce--if I feel like bringing a meat substitute, I do, but usually I just have the side dishes and that's generally more than enough.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)