20 November 2010

Rainy Morning Comfort

Good morning, all.   Intermittent rainfall and perpetual grayness is just the sort of thing to lubricate the synapses in my weekend-ready brain--I relish this surprisingly bleak weather, which is so fitting for mid-November--preparing me for the Thanksgiving menu planning with which I've encountered such difficulty.  Perhaps all it takes is a looming deadline and a jog through an invigorating downpour to inject some life into my love for cooking.  Here's hoping for sustained productivity and future palate-pleasing edibles.

Examining the basic elements of a traditional Thanksgiving table seems like a logical beginning in my quest to narrow (or rather, decide upon) my contribution to this year's meal.  Because turkey was always a secondary element of my plate, even in my omnivore days--my focus was always on the starchy sides--when I think of Thanksgiving, I immediately envision mashed potatoes and gravy.  Preparing the hallmark side dish was usually my task, but I won't be surprised if my minority presence as the sole vegan at this year's feast prompts someone else to take over, undoubtedly for fear of butter-less--or worse, vegan butter-laden--spuds.  Everyone seems to drench his entire plate with gravy anyway, but that is always a conveniently ignored fact.  In any case, my turkey-less feasting means that  I will also have turkey-less gravy, so on my breakdown of meal basics, I've chosen to first work on that part of the plate.
Recipes for mushroom gravies are readily accessible in both print and online, so I didn't have trouble finding one that looked suitable as a saucy accompaniment to a Thanksgiving meal.  My only concern was the presence of mushrooms themselves, because I tend to be ambivalent about the texture and flavor of cooked mushrooms.  I persisted with trying it anyway, and thankfully so; the Mushroom Gravy from Veganomicon was quite delicious (an opinion echoed by my mushroom-loving mother) and will not only turn up again on Thursday, but may in fact nudge my opinion of cooked fungi toward a more positive direction.  I enjoyed the sauce atop some homemade drop biscuits, with leftovers making a rich and heavy (in a good way) contribution to this morning's breakfast.  Should my willingness to join the kitchen frenzy prevail this week, I'll expect to have a sturdy arsenal of carbs to sop up that savory goodness.

4 comments:

  1. We have had the same weather for a week now! I'd love to see the sun again. I love all the Thanksgiving posts popping up now. It's interesting that so many people seem to eat the same/similar foods for this holiday. I don't think there are similar traditions in Germany. We don't celebrate Thnaksgiving anyway, but for Chritmas, most people I know eat different foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the mushroom gravy; you're off to a great start. My mom, in despair one Christmas over what I was going to eat (I'm the only vegan in my family as well) made a mushroom gravy from About.com for me. It was so good that at most of these holiday meals now we just have that; even the omnis prefer the taste to turkey gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job with your pre-planing for Thanksgiving! I am trying to do the same. I have been watching a lot of Food Network and trying to figure out how to veganize these dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had the same weather for a week now! I'd love to see the sun again. I love all the Thanksgiving posts popping up now. It's interesting that so many people seem to eat the same/similar foods for this holiday. I don't think there are similar traditions in Germany. We don't celebrate Thnaksgiving anyway, but for Chritmas, most people I know eat different foods.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)