10 November 2010

Tater-Less Tots


It turns out that tater tots need not necessarily contain potatoes after all.  Subsequent misnomer aside, a healthier version of those familiar starchy nuggets is actually rather tasty, even sans tubers and deep-frying.  What is the secret behind this ingenious tater tot facsimile?  Cauliflower.
When I stumbled upon Health-Bent's recipe for Paleo Tater Tots, I initially questioned the effectiveness of cauliflower as an adequate foundation for replacing the "tater" part of tater tots.  However, recalling how much I enjoy grain-free, cauliflower-based "risotto," I ignored my skepticism long enough to give the faux tater tot recipe a shot.  In order to make the food vegan, I replaced the eggs with a mixture of milled flax seeds and water.  The process itself is simple yet somewhat time-consuming if you really want the shape of each bite to mimic that of regular tater tots.  But if you opt to forgo perfecting the cylindrical shape, the process moves rather quickly; I discovered this the long way, cooking about a dozen tots that had been carefully formed into little logs before lazily resorting to dropping blobs of the mixture directly into the hot pan.  The shape obviously didn't affect the taste, which was rather good and resembled that of the real deal.  Certainly, anyone can admire and appreciate the creativity behind this unique snack, regardless of how uneven the results may look.  That said, I wouldn't want to make faux tater tots on a regular basis--sometimes I just want potatoes and have neither the patience nor desire for homemade substitutes--but a handful of Paleo Tater Tots could suffice as an occasional, healthier alternative remedy for junk food cravings.  Happy snacking!

13 comments:

  1. OMG, those taters look amazing! Just like the regular ones, but healthier looking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of like the idea of cauliflower subbing for potato in these snacks. Cauliflower is a more surprising vegetable than most people realize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are intriguing...they sound and look really good. Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How creative and unexpected! I love cauliflower, so this sounds mighty tasty to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard a lot about cauliflower "mashed potatoes," both cooked and raw, so I guess this would be the logical next step, right? They look crispy and delicious from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had tots and right now everybody talks about them. Perfect timing with the homemade version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these look so good! I often make mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, and will definitely try this one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember the last time I had a tater tot but I remember loving them as a kid! I love cauliflower in any form and it seems like it would be easier to work with than shredding potato and making potato tater tots from scratch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look delicious. Cauliflower is great mashed too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look delicious. Cauliflower is great mashed too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, these look so good! I often make mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, and will definitely try this one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, those taters look amazing! Just like the regular ones, but healthier looking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are intriguing...they sound and look really good. Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)