16 November 2010

Whoopie Pies

Until yesterday, I had never eaten a whoopie pie.  I had not even heard of such a thing until perhaps a year ago, which is surprising, considering the size of my sweet tooth.  Intrigued by this cross between cake and cookie sandwich, I considered assembling a batch.  Pumpkin whoopie pies are all the rage at the moment--seasonal appropriateness obliges gratuitous winter squash inclusion across the food spectrum--but this being my first whoopie pie experience, the seemingly traditional chocolate cookie, vanilla filling version prevailed.
Of course, scores of recipes for the classic treat are readily available to fulfill one's whoopie pie-related curiosities, theoretically complicating the selection process.  However, settling upon what seemed like a suitable guideline was not that difficult at all.  I consulted two separate recipes for the cake and filling, respectively, although they were quite similar and I'm sure each in its entirety would have sufficed as a complete pie-assembly guideline.  Perhaps I should have kept to a single source for both cake and filling.  Although the final pies were delightful handfuls of sweet deliciousness, I felt a bit unsatisfied with the texture of their components; the cake was soft but a bit flat, while the filling seemed more runny than fluffy.  So despite the pleasant flavor outcome--chocolate and vanilla are usually a winning combination--the pies didn't strike me as particularly extraordinary.  Maybe subsequent attempts at perfecting them will change my mind.

12 comments:

  1. I've never had or made whoopie pies, so you're a step ahead of me. One of these days, though, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry the texture didn't come out. They look great though. The black and white colour is really amazing! Did you use a special kind of cocoa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Tiffany, those look delish! I WANT ONE!!!! :) Definitely try again, LOL.

    xoxo,
    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooooooo yum! The bakery around the corner from my work makes gigantic whoopie pies, and they are WAY too huge for one person to eat. Yours look just as good, and much more reasonably-portioned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone, as always! :)

    Mihl, I used Dutch-processed cocoa, which tends to be darker than natural cocoa. And now that I think of it, maybe some sort of chemical reaction with the alkalized cocoa had something to do with the flatness of the cakes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hm. I'm no help, I've also never had a whoopie pie, though I've certainly seen them all over the interwebz. Your extra dark cocoa is totally rad. Just like the pop tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you use whole wheat flour? that actually makes a huge difference with that recipe... but that one is actually old I have a better one now that you should use! including a fab frosting! :D

    www.shortbreadnyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. did you use whole wheat flour? that actually makes a huge difference with that recipe... but that one is actually old I have a better one now that you should use! including a fab frosting! :D

    www.shortbreadnyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. hm. I'm no help, I've also never had a whoopie pie, though I've certainly seen them all over the interwebz. Your extra dark cocoa is totally rad. Just like the pop tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to everyone, as always! :)

    Mihl, I used Dutch-processed cocoa, which tends to be darker than natural cocoa. And now that I think of it, maybe some sort of chemical reaction with the alkalized cocoa had something to do with the flatness of the cakes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooooooo yum! The bakery around the corner from my work makes gigantic whoopie pies, and they are WAY too huge for one person to eat. Yours look just as good, and much more reasonably-portioned! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)