08 December 2010

Bibimbap

My exposure to Korean cuisine is a fairly recent phenomenon.  I have only partaken in a handful of Korean-inspired meals, but enjoyed each one and look forward to becoming more familiar with this unique, delicious Asian culinary tradition.  Influenced by a recent visit to a Korean restaurant--recreating the fiery tofu soup I devoured is on my "to do" list--and the amazing feast Amey from Vegan Eats & Treats cooked up during Vegan MoFo, I made a first attempt at bibimbap.  A dish consisting of rice, assortment of vegetable sides, and gochujang (a spicy condiment), bibimbap may appear labor-intensive to make, but the sides individually are actually rather simple to assemble and the resulting savory, sweet, tangy masterpiece in its entirety is worth the time commitment.  I enjoyed the following components with hot steamed rice.

Carrots, blanched then dressed with gochujang, shoyu, sugar, rice vinegar, cayenne, and toasted sesame seeds.
Satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato), roasted whole then lightly pan-fried peeled chunks in canola and sesame oils.  I tossed the browned pieces with maple-shoyu syrup, then sprinkled them with toasted sesame seeds.
Baby bok choy, blanched then tossed with the same dressing as that used for the carrots.
Mung bean sprouts, prepared using this Fat Free Vegan Kitchen recipe.
Cucumbers, prepared using another Fat Free Vegan Kitchen recipe.  I used a regular English cucumber instead of a pickling variety, green onions instead of a regular onion, and added red pepper flakes.
Tofu, sliced thinly, briefly marinated in slightly-diluted vegan "fish" sauce, then lightly pan-fried.
This made for a wonderful, varied meal that I will definitely revisit.  If anyone has suggestions for side dishes to include next time around, please let me know.  Happy feasting!

8 comments:

  1. YUM! I love this. Thanks for sharing, Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! those carrots look especially delicious. quite a spread :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful and delicious, Tiffany! I've been wanting to try this myself but you beat me to it :) And thanks for the pointer to the vegan fish sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really wonderful! I love all the different bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! that tofu looks great...well...it all looks great but the tofu looks nice and crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful and delicious, Tiffany! I've been wanting to try this myself but you beat me to it :) And thanks for the pointer to the vegan fish sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh! those carrots look especially delicious. quite a spread :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I love this. Thanks for sharing, Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)