12 January 2011

Review: Tofutti Cuties

A few months ago, a kindly Tofutti representative contacted me, asking if I'd like to review some of the company's frozen, dairy-free desserts*.  Having had only limited exposure to the brand's product line--at the time of request, I had only tried the faux cream cheese and sour cream in several applications, with mostly acceptable results--I was open to tasting something different.  I finally did just that, recently opting to try two different flavors of Tofutti Cuties, those seemingly omnipresent, palm-sized "ice cream"-like sandwiches.

Mint Chocolate Chip was the first flavor I elected to try.  As is often the case with soy-based, nondairy "ice cream" treats, the sandwich was rock solid right out of the freezer, although allowing it to thaw for a few minutes at room temperature melted it just enough so that I wouldn't lose any teeth during the tasting.  After averting a potential dental emergency (okay, that's an exaggeration), I soon realized that these Cuties would live up to their "snack size" label; it took only a few modest bites to consume a single sandwich.  Thawing the treat improved the dessert's creamy texture and made for somewhat sticky (although not uncommon for typical ice cream sandwiches) chocolate cookies.  The cookies alone were, in fact, very similar to those featured in the non-vegan ice cream sandwiches I loved as a child--soft, stick-to-your-teeth slabs of chocolaty goodness.  The mint chocolate chip filling wasn't quite so tasty, at least on its own; it didn't taste particularly creamy and the flavor was a bit flat.  The filling benefited from being sandwiched between cookies, making the overall package a decent treat for occasional consumption.
I later tried the Chocolate variety, which somehow seemed more texturally appealing, with the richness of the cocoa flavor more successfully masking the partial iciness of the filling.  Otherwise, my verdict on the second tasting was pretty much identical to the first: adequate to quell that sweet craving, but not my first choice of "ice cream"-like vegan desserts.  Mind you, these sandwiches were by no means terrible--as I said, they were fine--but they just didn't impress me.  I would probably only purchase Tofutti Cuties out of convenience (they're readily available in many major grocery chains), but homemade and store-bought coconut milk-based "ice creams" still top my dairy-less frozen dessert list.  Thanks to Tofutti for allowing me to try some of its products; I greatly appreciate the opportunity.  It's good to know that there are vegan dessert options out in the mainstream market!
*Disclaimer: I received these products for free (via vouchers provided by the company), but was neither paid nor pressured to review them.

11 comments:

  1. I love the mint chocolate chip tofutti cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are sooo good! I like the wild berry best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At a natural food show many years ago, I ate so many tofutti cuties I couldn't even look at them without feeling sick, for about a year. It was like I was possessed, and couldn't stop eating them. They reminded me of the ice cream sandwiches I ate as a child, and the nostalgia really got to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tofutti Cuties! One of my favorite vegan treats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Tofutti Cuties, but hate the corn syrup solids they put in them. That's why I much prefer So Delicious Coconut Milk Minis. They're incredibly creamy, and as an added bonus, they're only 100 calories and 3.5gm of fat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried those! I usually just make frozen banana soft serve in my vita mix ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I love those Mint chocolate chip Tofutti Cuties. Alas, our local markets in La Jolla/Pacific Beach area no longer stock that flavor and now we're having to do without them. Does anyone have any ideas about where I could get some?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I love those Mint chocolate chip Tofutti Cuties. Alas, our local markets in La Jolla/Pacific Beach area no longer stock that flavor and now we're having to do without them. Does anyone have any ideas about where I could get some?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Tofutti Cuties, but hate the corn syrup solids they put in them. That's why I much prefer So Delicious Coconut Milk Minis. They're incredibly creamy, and as an added bonus, they're only 100 calories and 3.5gm of fat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are sooo good! I like the wild berry best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmmm....I thought the mint in the mint chocolate chip had a very refreshing, non-chemical flavor. The only problem is it was difficult to stop at just one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)