31 March 2011

Food for Lazy Days

We are a week into spring, but it feels more like summer. While many fellow Californians are basking in the blazing sunshine of this apparent heatwave, I'm not quite ready to part with the cooler temperatures that have suddenly disappeared. The muggy warmth is undoubtedly making me feel just a little sluggish. Here's a no-fuss, one-pot homage to summer to complement that heat-induced tendency to slink into a lazy mental fog. If you're like me, waiting for the real spring to arrive, batch of these beer-simmered beans will fill you up.
Tipsy Black Beans (printer-friendly)
Yields 4 servings

2 tsp canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
15 oz cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
12 oz beer
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp maple syrup
1 strip (1- to 2-in square) kombu, wiped down gently with damp cloth
1 bay leaf
1 T cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime

Heat oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-low heat. Saute the onion until soft and slightly caramelized, add garlic, and saute for an additional minute. Take the pot off the heat to carefully add the beer. Place pot over medium heat and add remaining ingredients except lime juice. Bring the contents of the pot to a strong simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and allow the beans to simmer steadily for 20-25 min. Remove kombu and bay leaf. Add lime juice. Serve hot. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Keri - I Eat Trees3/31/11, 6:39 PM

    Yeah, I prematurely thought it was spring. Now it's freezing again and I'm stuck throwing a cardigan over all my cute spring tops. :-/
    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great. I love the beer and kombu additions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had any beans in a couple of days, so this sounds perfect! Over here, spring started but I think I expect summer. I am complaining that it is not warm enough. Although I know that I'll be complaining about the heat in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)