25 April 2011

A New Favorite

After itching to cook up Mac & Shews pretty much since Isa posted her recipe over at The PPK, I finally made the dish yesterday to bring to a casual family gathering. I've cooked several versions of vegan macaroni and "cheese" and tasted a few creations by other people. Despite having distinctly non-cheese "cheesy" flavor, most of the aforementioned vegan mac and cheese dishes have been good (if not at least decent) odes to the real-deal comfort food. I'm inclined to think Mac & Shews are quite possibly as delectable as homemade vegan mac and cheese gets; pureed cashews  make the sauce lusciously creamy, while sauerkraut infuses the dish with a certain depth and tangy flavor. Even with minor, habit-driven alterations--using whole wheat shell-shaped pasta, substituting the roux with pureed cannellini beans, and forgoing the final baking step (I was running late and hungry)--the dish tasted rich and plain scrumptious, easily appeasing my comfort food craving. Like every vegan mac and "cheese" I've tried, Mac & Shews won't fool anyone into thinking it's made with dairy cheese, but that doesn't matter; the uniquely non-cheese "cheesy" concoction is perfectly delicious in its own right. I'll undoubtedly revisit the recipe many times over.

6 comments:

  1. I still haven't gotten rid to trying that recipe, it sure looks good though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds absolutely delicious. Glad it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Substituting cannellini beans for a roux?! Genius. I haven't had mac 'n cheese (vegan or otherwise) in such a long time... I do believe it's overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I like the idea of sauerkraut and the beans! I'll have to check out that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. veganinbrighton4/27/11, 3:34 AM

    I STILL haven't made the mac & shew's, I really need to get some sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)