02 May 2011

Monday Miscellany

I have a collection of photos that for various reasons never receive blog face time. Despite at some point deeming a given dish potentially worthy of further elaboration in this humble little space, half the time it won't make the cut. Usually it's a matter of a dish no longer seeming interesting enough for me to share, but sometimes I'm just become lazy about squeezing in even a brief mention. But as I periodically shuffle through the images I've stored, it seems wasteful to keep some of them--even if all of my photos are merely decent-looking--if I'm the only one to see them.

Consider this the first post in a series dedicated to photographed dishes that never quite made the cut. The archives go back to the beginning of this blog (nearly two years--yikes), but I'll just flood your visual field with miscellany from January through April of this year. Enjoy!
Feel free to holler if you want to know specifics about any of the food here. I'll can't promise I'll remember specifics about how it all went down, but I'll try my best!

18 comments:

  1. I do love all-photo posts like this but yr stuff looks too intriguing not to ask - what are those blue and red threads at the top??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri - I Eat Trees5/2/11, 9:06 PM

    I'm curious about the contents of that mason jar! Looks like homemade cereal or cracker chips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for asking! :) Those lines were about to become sprinkles/jimmies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it was homemade cereal. Good eye! I've been meaning to make another batch with additional modifications--I may have mentioned a little something about it in a previous post--and perhaps blog about it later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all totally shareworthy! I'd love to know more about everything, especially those canoli!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Mihl! I need to work more on getting the cannoli right before I post anything more about them. My brother really liked them, though, so hopefully I'm on the right track. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it - the cannolli are particularly stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh my. So many lovely things to take in at once! Did you really make your own sprinkles?! Madness.

    Those cannolis look unbelivable... and do I spy some sort of almond-pear tart? I LOVE baking with pears. Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Affectioknit5/4/11, 9:33 AM

    It all looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! It was a bit of a pain to pipe the icing lines for the sprinkles, but I thought I'd give them a try so that I'd have vegan jimmies on hand. Always good to have some of those around haha.

    And yes, I made a pear tart! That was the Puddington Pear Galette from 500 Vegan Recipes. I added almond extract to the pudding and sprinkled sliced almonds on top, because I'm sort of obsessed with almonds and almond-flavored things. :) It was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pancakes look perfect and those granola type morsels (I spot an almond in one of them) look so crunchy to me - did you make the recipes up or can I find them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the kind words! :) That is indeed almond granola and the result of several attempts to make crunchy clusters. I've been meaning to post a recipe, so I'll try to have it up soon! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merisi in Vienna5/8/11, 3:01 AM

    These images were definitely too pretty to languish in the archive any longer!
    Love the stripes and that orange salad looks very interesting. May I ask what it is made of, please?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much! The dish in question is a Korean-style daikon (radish) salad, which is simply a combination of daikon, red pepper flakes (hence the orange color), vinegar, garlic, green onion, salt, and sesame seed.

    ReplyDelete
  15.  Wow. I just found your blog and if those photos are ones that didn't make the cut, I can only imagine the quality of the dishes you actually end up blogging about. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for the kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)