29 May 2011

Recipe Review: Peanut Butter S'mores Cheesecake

I was never a "cheesecake person." As a picky eater during childhood, I considered tangy flavors in dessert simply unappetizing. Although that changed during adolescence, I still disliked cream cheese in general, as well as the heaviness and richness of cheesecake. I did eventually discover that the ever popular cake-pie hybrid was not completely unwelcome to my palette--I will indulge in a vegan version occasionally, although that introduces a separate issue regarding tofu-based pies--but it has never been my top dessert preference.

But if anything could test my long-standing hesitation to fully embrace the realms of cheesecake and vegan tofu-based pies alike, Sexy Vegan Mama's Vegan Peanut Butter S'mores Cheesecake may very well be it. This is one seriously decadent vegan indulgence: layers of vanilla, peanut butter, and chocolate cheesecake filling atop a buttery graham cracker crust.
Here's how the test-run of the recipe transpired. The directions indicate to use regular (not silken) tofu without specifying firmness level, so I used pressed tofu, because I automatically press tofu before I use it anyway. I chilled the pie briefly before adding each layer of cheesecake filling to prevent them from blending. In my eagerness to taste the finished product, I omitted the suggested chocolate drizzle; it didn't end up being necessary, although I'm sure it would have been a nice touch.

The Vegan Peanut Butter S'mores Cheesecake was definitely rich, but that richness masks the dessert's tofu presence (you may recall the aforementioned issue I have with tofu-based dessert fillings). I particularly liked being able to enjoy distinct layers of filling; the dense richness of the fudge-like chocolate component was made less intense by the relatively lighter, but still distinct peanut butter and vanilla flavors. Although the cheesecake was more peanut butter cup than peanut butter s'mores, I'm not complaining. It was tasty, held together nicely, and froze beautifully, too; pulling a pre-sliced piece (or two) from the freezer and having it thaw in the refrigerator for a few hours became an effective way to savor the indulgence while practicing portion control.
The recipe will be included in Sweet and Simple Vegan Desserts, the forthcoming cookbook authored by Christina-Marie Wright and William Maltese, so do keep your eyes out for it and prepare yourselves for some incredibly delectable vegan goodies. Be sure to also check out the Sexy Vegan Mama blog and follow along on Twitter for even more treats.

8 comments:

  1. Czech Vegan @CzechVeganBlog5/30/11, 12:31 AM

    What a beautiful post and yummy cheesecake pictures! You made my mouth water!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great recipe! When I was a kid I refused to eat cheesecake because I thought there was actual cheese (like gouda) in it. When I finally discovered what the ingredient really was (In Germany it is not cream cheese but quark), I felt really stupid and was bemoaning all the missed cheesecake opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful! Haha, when I clicked on the Sexy Vegan Mama link, the first two posts were also both cheesecake recipes! I used to be a cheesecake lover, so we'll see if anything comes of these newly found recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, you had me at PEANUT BUTTER S'MORE CHEESECAKE. No other explanation needed :) Looks amazing. Easy freezing is definitely a plus too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's so rich and yummy looking! It looks like it's got great firm texture too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carissa- Elilaiann6/1/11, 6:32 PM

    That looks REALLY good! I will have to check that recipe out later when I'm not trying to eat healthy. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made a cheesecake too- peanut butter cheesecake crossed my mind, and I will definitely have to make this!  

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cassie - Vegfox6/2/11, 7:55 PM

    You definitely made my mouth water! I don't remember trying cheesecake until my teen years. It seemed ok if there was an Oreo crust, but I did NOT like it with cherries on top. Now I'm a fan (vegan style). Raw cheesecakes beat all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)