13 July 2011

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: In the Garden

I wanted to grow heirloom tomatoes this summer, but the lack of success over two consecutive years discouraged what would likely become a fruitless effort. Peppers and herbs, however, are the few edibles that consistently thrive in my humble backyard plot. Accordingly, the shishito plants are producing an admirable crop so far. I plucked a dozen of the wrinkly, green peppers, which will make for a lovely stir-fry.
The serrano plants aren't far behind. Those wee buds and white flowers will become spicy peppers in no time.
While a large herb pot showcases impressive tufts of varied, fragrant greenery, I'm particularly fond of the solitary shiso plant; this is my first year growing shiso, whose broad leaves are piquant, lovely, and seemingly impeccable.
What's growing in your backyard?

8 comments:

  1. Love the garden!  My tomatoes are finally growing well this year.  Your shiso is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we don't have a backyard but our tiny balcony is thriving with nasturtiums, mini strawberries, tomatoes (don't think the pots are big enough to let them fruit, but they look nice), and all kinds of herbs.  We tried sugar snap peas but the vines look kind of dead this morning, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to plans shiso for the first time (a Japanese friends gave me some seeds), is it difficult to grow?

    ciao
    Alessandra
    http://alessandra-veganblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I don't have a backyard or a garden. The peppers look great though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the shiso planting! I actually didn't grow my shiso from seed; I found a very young plant at a local nursery and transplanted it to my backyard in an area with full sun exposure. From that point, though, it's been pretty easy to grow, especially considering that I'm not much of a gardener and also forget to tend to the plants regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you Japanese? It seems like most Americans don't know what shiso is. I have a packet of shiso seeds too that I want to try growing but have never gotten around to it. One of my favorite things is the dried salty purple shiso called ゆかり. I want to put it on everything, but it's kind of expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I'm terrible at plant-growing, even those ready-made basil plants seem to die on me. Can't wait to see these babies cooked up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I'm not Japanese, but I like to try foods from various cuisines, especially those of Asia (Japan in particular). :) I've actually salt-preserved some of the green shiso I'm growing, which I intend to use as a sort of furikake, like the salty red shiso you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)