27 July 2011

Naan: A Love Story

Fresh, homemade bread has a special place in my heart (and stomach). I recently made a few adaptations to this recipe to make a batch of vegan naan. It was oh-so-good.
With dough risen and board dusted, we were ready to roll.
The flattened discs puffed up gorgeously on my cast iron grill
pan.
The aroma of fresh bread made the house smell amazing.
Dinner that evening was pizza marguerite--a combination of
fresh basil from my herb garden and mozzarella-style Teese.
The next morning, I delighted in an Asian-inspired concoction
of tomato sauce, mozzarella-style Teese, garden-fresh shiso,
green onion, and ginger-candied walnuts.
And my taste buds lived happily ever after. The end.

8 comments:

  1. Love naan!  Naan pizza looks really good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. veganinbrighton7/28/11, 5:25 AM

    OMG! I've never made my own naan bread before & your pizza's look SO amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! how was shiso in the pizza? I love shiso on anything but never tried it on pizza. does the taste change when baked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Making naan is fun and not too hard once you get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first time using shiso on pizza and I barely used any (two small-ish leaves). So the flavor wasn't very noticeable after the pizza baked. I'm thinking of making a shiso pesto to see how that tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naan is definitely the way to a girl's heart. It's been so long since I've had fresh, fluffy naan! I think this might be a definite addition to my to-do list this weekend. What did you use, plain soy yogurt, or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love naan so much - I think I'll make some tomorrow. A few months ago I made the best vegan naan with "paneer"!  What you did with this makes it look so much more appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used unsweetened soy yogurt, added about a tablespoon of sugar, and replaced the chemical leavening with a teaspoon of yeast for the final dough.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)