19 August 2011

Before the change

I alluded to a need to adopt healthier eating habits in a recent post. Frankly, I'm sick of feeling the unpleasant physical and mental effects of overindulging in refined carbohydrates, sweets, and the like. So I'm working on a massive overhaul of my dietary lifestyle, kicking it off with a cleanse or detox of sorts, which began this morning. I'm saying no to added sugar. I'm staying away from refined carbohydrates--sticking to whole grains, and a limited amount at that. (I'll miss you, steamed white rice.) I'm monitoring my intake of "healthy fats" from nuts and seeds. And I'm aiming to go high-raw vegan (i.e., a plant-based diet consisting primarily of raw foods).

Of course, I'll do my best to make sure I still get adequate nutrients in my system (this move is all about health and moderation, after all) and am not completely forsaking my beloved stove and oven. It wasn't a sudden decision, but rather an inclination I've harbored for many weeks; I simply didn't have the urgency to execute change until now. To mark the transition from not-so-healthy to (hopefully) healthier eating, here's a glance at some of the edible miscellany I've enjoyed in the meantime.
Gluten-free steamed buns (dough adapted from this recipe).
Filled with
tsubu-an.
Melty banana peanut butter almond "milkshake." 
Date-sweetened and cinnamon-spiced.
Smoky seitan and sauteed squash and mushroom tacos.
Served on
nopales tortillas.
Yeasted Roasted Banana Bread.
No nuts and using coconut oil.
Tempeh Helper from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Appetite for
Reduction. Brown rice pasta and swapped peas with broccoli.
Looking at the above items suggests that conditions could certainly be worse, but a glance at the previous two posts are more indicative of my struggle with eating in moderation. In any case, there is definitely room for improvement. I'm aiming for healthy variety, so I hope to keep things interesting around here.

No more excuses. It's time for positive change.

7 comments:

  1. Alessandra Zecchini8/19/11, 7:46 PM

    Well, all of these dishes sound good to me :-)

    ciao
    A.
    http://alessandra-veganblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scissorsandspice.com8/19/11, 8:13 PM

    Mmmm! Can you adopt me? That all looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your dietary changes! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that shake looks YUMMO! good luck with the changes :) 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are doing an amazing job!  I try a lot of raw as well.....and then simple cooked.  It's hard for me to go all raw without bingeing on raw nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll never give up my steamed white rice! Never! :-D Good for you! I'm been eating more raw foods lately too. Of course, I'll still eat cooked foods but I'm finding I really like some raw dishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - the milkshake and bread look AMAZING! I could definitely overindulge on just those two things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)