28 August 2011

Shishito

Despite the apparent decline of the shishito plants in my backyard garden, they are still producing more peppers than I can consume during a single harvest. The peppers' mild, delicate flavor doesn't make shishito particularly well-suited to dishes with bold seasoning, calling for simpler preparation. I've already ginger-pickled some, using this recipe (completely disregarding the accompanying pork component, of course); stir-fried them for japchae; frozen freshly-picked peppers, stems removed; and eaten them pan-roasted and seasoned with a little sea salt. Because I've rather taken to canning food lately, I decided to pack broiled shishito peppers with fresh shiso (also from my garden), garlic, extra virgin olive oil, red pepper flakes, and a touch of salt. I hope the pepper flavor remains once I figure out the next step.
What are your favorite ways to eat mild peppers?

3 comments:

  1. Vic (The Life)8/29/11, 5:52 PM

    Nice!  I really need to start canning, pickling, and jarring!  

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always send your extras to me. :-) Beautiful shots of the canning process! I like mild peppers in salads, sandwiches, pretty much anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alessandra Zecchini9/1/11, 3:00 PM

    Yum! I like peppers fried or bakes, then peeled and dressed with olive oil (if bakes, no more olive oil necessary if fried) salt and maybe a chop of fine fresh herbs and garlic, or black olives and capers, served with crusty bread.
    Ciao
    A.
    http://alessandra-veganblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)