01 November 2011

Celebrate

Happy World Vegan Day! According to The Vegan Society, today (1 November) "marks the start of World Vegan Month every year, commemorating the coining of the term 'vegan' and the founding of The Vegan Society in November 1944." While many people seem burned out by the amazing energy of Vegan MoFo, I appreciate having yet another month dedicated to all things vegan to keep the communal spirit flowing. I'll be forever grateful for the mindfulness veganism fosters in myself and others--more than enough reason to celebrate.

To no one's surprise, food is my favorite vehicle for celebration. Last month's marathon food blogging involved a huge amount of cooking, so most of results have shown up here already. The few that didn't are not exactly grandiose, but still noteworthy; such simple delights make being vegan not merely livable, but truly enjoyable.

These fuyu persimmons (some of my favorite fruits) are as local as they get, picked ripe from the backyard tree.
A single, fresh, homemade, whole wheat pita is definitely better than a stack of chemical-laden, factory-born bread. Of course, a stack of homemade pita is even better. Baba ghanouj is a terrific accompanying dip.
Strong, black coffee and a pumpkin scone make another lovely pair, no corporate coffeehouse required.
What simple things have you enjoyed lately?

6 comments:

  1. Honestly, I want to enjoy *your* simple things.  Homemade pita bread, yes!  Baba ganoush, yes!  And those fuyu persimmons, triple, quadruple yes!  Persimmon season is upon us even here, but I suspect yours are far more superfantastic than anything I can get in the stores...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, do you have a recipe or any tips for making pita bread? I've tried to make mine with a traditional recipe, using a thick preheated baking sheet but mine were too dense and didn't get the pocket inside! Yours look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your world vegan day was celebrated way better than mine. All I made today was fresh hummus :) I am thinking about making some bread in the bread maker tonight though, for tomorrow. I'm jealous of your backyard tree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos, my dear. The simple thing I enjoy daily is my morning yoga practice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lynn_eva_barber11/2/11, 8:20 PM

    Hey! The look of your blog changed! Looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! The recipe I've been using is linked in this blog post. I add about a tablespoon of olive oil to the dough for added softness. I also try to roll each piece out as thinly as possible without them breaking, then cook them on a preheated baking stone at around 450F or 475F, for about three minutes. They only cook, not brown (which I later achieve by putting the pieces over a flame on the stove), usually puffing to form pockets, but not always. I think having a soft dough helps, so I try to not add too much bench flour when I'm rolling out the discs. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)