21 November 2011

The oven never sleeps.

To say that the oven is in constant operation is actually an exaggeration. I've said over and over that I prefer stove-top cooking over baking (still true), but baking has apparently become my "thing." That love of fresh bread is to blame, as is my compulsion to stuff my friends with gift-worthy baked sweets whenever the opportunity arises. Cooking and baking are constants for me, despite my lack of (if at best, sporadic) blog presence. Tonight, the oven gets the spotlight.

So what have I baked up lately, you ask? Have a look.

Fresh cranberry pumpkin muffins were a little sweet, but mostly tart. It may or may not be a work-in-progress, depending on whether I decide that refining a recipe is a worthy project.
I will, however, likely make further attempts at perfecting a multiseed whole wheat loaf. This first loaf was good, but could benefit from a flavor boost. A touch more molasses might do the trick, but we'll all have to wait awhile to find out whether that assumption holds true.
The very afternoon I finally retrieved a copy of Vegan Pie in the Sky (Moskowitz and Romero, 2011), I baked this Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Cheesecake. It was a deliciously rich choice. Not one to spend much time prettying up my desserts, I opted to forgo adorning the pie. While a chocolate drizzle or roasted peanuts would have been lovely additions, they really weren't necessary, because the pie was delightful as-is.
Although less decadent than the cheesecake, Impossible Vegan Pumpkin Pie was delectable in its own right. Yes, it is possible to truly enjoy a crustless, low-fat pie. I adapted the recipe by reducing the amount of sugar to one half-cup and omitting all spices except for half the amount of cinnamon (to allow more of the pumpkin flavor to shine through). Again, the pie required no extras in order to be perfectly satisfying.
Roasted satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato) is an autumn staple in this house. The sweet, starchy tuber requires nothing more than a brief spell in a hot oven. Seasoning is superfluous. It's a simple treat I will gladly eat any day.
What have you baked up lately?
***
I nearly forgot to mention this month's Love Drop (again), and I feel bad about my unintentional delay. (Many, many apologies to the fine people behind this project, as well as current and future recipients of their hard, admirable work.) Please do visit the site for details about the present mission--maybe drop some love of your own, if you have the inclination--as well as the results of previous drops.
Image courtesy of Love Drop.

5 comments:

  1. lynn_eva_barber11/21/11, 8:35 PM

    That cheesecake looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep 'em coming, girlie! Everything here looks SO GOOD, especially that cheesecake. I tested out the buttery double crust recipe from Vegan Pie in the Sky this morning, and it's in the oven baking at this very moment... That not-too-spiced pumpkin pie looks amazing, too. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got that book too, the peanut butter cheesecake was one of the recipes that really stood out to me! I need to make it soon.  The bread looks great too, can't beat fresh bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all your baked goodies! i usually add more herbs for a slightly savory bread or fruit puree to add flavor and mask the whole grain taste to my breads!
    love the love drop mission. i dint know about it. amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always so jealous of your baked goods. I'm working on it, but it doesn't come easy to me at all. I'm not good with measurements or following recipes the right way. Everything that you make always looks so beautiful and professional! 
    I have yet to try baking a pumpkin pie. I think that I have been avoiding it. Maybe soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)