28 December 2011

Baking and Giving

I hope those who celebrated enjoyed a merry Christmas and wish everyone a joyous holiday season. After returning from my brief trip to the Bay Area (always a bittersweet event) just prior to Christmas, I found a few shots of that holiday-related baking I mentioned in the last post to share with you all. Although they are neither novel nor particularly exciting, these Cinnamon Roses were apparently quite the success with their recipients. I likewise enjoyed them. Delicately buttery and kissed with gentle spice and sweetness, these lovely rolls were a delight to eat. I fed my mild obsession with vegan brioche by using Celine's recipe for Cinnamon Pull-Apart Brioche, shaping the dough into roses using the technique that actually inspired me to bake these rolls.
I also adapted this recipe for panettone, making a vegan double-batch to tote along to my sister's house. It was my first attempt at the traditional Italian holiday bread, which probably wasn't very traditional after the various substitutions made: coconut milk for dairy milk, coconut milk yogurt for eggs, vegan margarine for butter, and golden raisins for currants. I also added lemon and orange zest and chopped, dried cherries and apricots to the mix. The resulting loaves weren't particularly lofty, but still soft, flavorful, and appropriately festive. They definitely weighed down my carry-on bag--just one portion of my haul of baked goods--with the bread's heavenly smell as a curious travel companion.

6 comments:

  1. your pull-apart rolls look absolutely PERFECT!  amazing job, tiffany ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas!  All the breads look lovely...I can't wait to try the rose technique!

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG these look heavenly! I'm going to be making these for sure. Your blog is so inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look beautiful!! I wish someone would give me vegan baked goods for a gift. How sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rosette rolls are beautiful. They held their shape so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeez, you've definitely outdone yourself! Those doughy roses are absolutely gorgeous. The color and fluffiness alone would be awesome enough, even without the cute shape. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)