05 December 2011

Recipe Testing, Part 1

My food routine lately has included very little of my typical kitchen experimentation, but with good reason. As a recipe tester for Terry Hope Romero's forthcoming cookbook, I'm enjoying the opportunity to cook up and give feedback on Terry's creations. The focus on global cuisine makes for a wonderful variety of dishes. I'm excited to see how the final cookbook turns out, which I'm sure will be amazing. In the meantime, I will periodically post round-ups of some of the dishes I've tested. Now let's take a brief culinary trip around Asia, shall we?

Korea

Kimchi Tofu Eggplant Stew (Jigae) was one of the first recipes I tested for Terry and also one of my favorites. It's perfect way to warm up on a chilly morning.
Kimchi Manju Dumplings reaffirmed my love of dumplings and kimchi. To combine them is simply brilliant.
Korean Mixed BBQ Grill with Mushrooms was an incredibly flavorful and hearty platter of tofu, tempeh, portabellos, and shiitake mushrooms.

China

Yu-Xiang Eggplant was a delicious reminder that despite the occasional, momentary satisfaction of Chinese-inspired take-out meals, authentic, homemade dishes are just better.
Spicy Saucy Soft Tofu (Ma-Po Tofu) and Crisp Stir-Fry Greens with Veggie Oyster Sauce once again prove the previous statement. Of course, the meal would not have been complete without a side of steamed white rice.

Vietnam

Pho Noodle Soup with Sizzling Seitan and Bok Choy was another comforting dish that I'd gladly make many times over. With a flavorful broth, chewy rice noodles, hearty protein, and an assortment of veggies, this soup is a true winner.

Philippines

Coconut Watercress Lumpia are unlike any lumpia I've ever encountered, but oh so delicious. They were just as addictive as the Shanghai-style version I loved as a child, in the best way possible. What's even more awesome is that these vegan rolls were baked, rather than fried--something I hadn't considered as a possibility until testing this recipe--and still turned out perfectly crisp.
Tofu, Potatoes, and Eggplant in Garlic Adobo Sauce was a hearty spin on a well-known island classic, packing bold flavor that instantly brought forth memories of childhood.
On a related note, I appreciate that Terry is including a few Filipino dishes in her cookbook. Filipino cuisine showcases an interesting blend of cultural influences, yet it doesn't seem to get much attention on the global stage, so it's nice to see it represented here.

5 comments:

  1. I love love love Asian meals. This post definitely made Terry's new book a contender for a must-have next year! Hopefully it comes out soon!

    Thanks for sharing all these dishes. Keep 'em coming! Super curious as to what else is in the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I can't decide which looks better... The Korean Mixed BBQ Grill or the Ma-Po Tofu! Can't wait for this cookbook to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MY!  YUM!

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so lucky to be a recipe tester! Everything looks so good! Can't wait to see other test recipes and I'm totally getting the cookbook when it comes out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, wow, wow! I signed up for testing before our new family member arrived and now cannot find the time to make anything. So sad. Will you come and cook for us ?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)