07 March 2012

03.07

How it took me so long to discover the simple delight that is Puppy Chow, I'll never know. I've made it a few times since first tasting the sweet treat (intended for humans, not dogs). One can find a myriad recipes for it online. Puppy Chow's traditional form--cereal squares coated in melted chocolate and peanut butter, then tossed in powered sugar--is not vegan, but easily made so with substitutions of nondairy butter and chocolate for their respective dairy-based counterparts. One could use gluten-free rice cereal if gluten sensitivity is a concern (not the case for me, but what I chose for this batch anyway). I put a different spin on the snack here by using equal parts crunchy almond butter and bittersweet chocolate, a touch of almond extract in addition to the vanilla, and a dash of instant espresso powder. Restrained munching followed, with some difficulty.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious!  I've made something similar, but this is the first time I've heard it called Puppy Chow.  I bet my kids would love that name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chow Vegan3/7/12, 9:20 PM

     I've never heard of puppy chow before but it sure looks good! It sounds very easy to make too, I'm going to have to try it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn @ Scissors & Spice3/7/12, 10:07 PM

    Tiffany--This is seriously one of my fav snacky foods. So much so I can't ever make it! It's so addicting. I made it for the blog before: http://www.scissorsandspice.com/2011/05/spice-in-kitchen-vegan-chex-muddy.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg, I used love this stuff when I was a kid! I have not thought to make it in years!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)