10 March 2012

03.10

I only used half of a roasted squash for the tacos from a few days ago, leaving me more with which I could experiment. Given the squash's namesake and strand-like texture, it comes as no surprise that I wanted to treat it like noodles. I could have taken an even more obvious route by making something like spaghetti marinara, but instead opted for Asian flavors. What resulted was pancit-style spaghetti squash stir-fry, a very unorthodox, but nonetheless delectable homage to a popular Filipino stir-fried noodle dish. My noodle-free version most closely resembles pancit bihon in particular, which is traditionally made with very thin rice noodles. I always use onion, garlic, carrots, celery, vegetable broth, shoyu, lemon juice, sesame oil, green onion, and ground black pepper when I make any type of pancit, and did so here. For this particular dish, I "broth-sauteed" the whole thing, only using a touch of sesame oil for flavor, and also added sliced daikon and shelled edamame for crunch.
Although I don't think anyone would mistake the spaghetti squash for rice noodles, the flavors were wonderfully reminiscent of traditional pancit. I'm quite satisfied with this as a grain-free alternative to stir-fried noodles. I've already added spaghetti squash to my grocery list, with plans to see what other noodle-like creations I can make with it.


Any ideas or suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. now that's my kind of meal.  looks delicious, tiffany!  i love how you used squash for the rice noodles.  i love to sub spaghetti squash for pasta, too.  (and i am loving that new pic of you in the right corner.  you are gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool! I've mostly switched to rice noodles from wheat pasta but this is even better! Interesting to think how the shoyu works with squash but I think I've had tamari on butternut squash before so, hey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you! *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow never thought of using spaghetti squash to pancit. This is innovative!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)