11 March 2012

03.11

It's not only entirely possible to create a vegan version of Pocky, but also quite easy. I used this recipe, which produces a yeast-risen dough--something I did not think would be necessary for making a proper imitation of the original, store-bought inspiration. But as is often the case with yeast-risen versus chemically-risen methods of leavening, I'm glad I went with the former, because the results were very similar to the "real thing," boasting just the right flavor and snap. After making a few simple substitutions--almond milk for dairy milk, light agave for honey, and vegetable shortening for butter, respectively--I had a batch of my very own, highly-snackable cookie sticks. A coating of tempered dark chocolate and selective sprinkling of homemade jimmies were the finishing touches.

8 comments:

  1. I don't have your kind of patience for such dainty cooking, but I wish, oh I wish, you lived next door and I could taste-test all your recipes. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash Cresswell3/11/12, 11:24 PM

    Vegan pocky... best idea ever!! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we have something similar here in Germany. I bet your version tastes much better that the store bought version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I haven't thought about pocky in years. These look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something I've wanted to do for years! I'm so happy you beat me to the punch though, because these look absolutely perfect. Now I can go and experiment with replicating the crazier flavors, knowing I have a solid base. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm quite obsessed with pocky, even now, tho i don't get them as often because they have dairy in them. making them homemade is great, tho i'm assuming time consuming?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy experimenting! I can't wait to see how the other flavors turn out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they are a bit time-consuming, but not very difficult to make. A batch makes quite a bit, so after the work is done, you'll have enough snacks to last awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)