19 March 2012

03.19

This sticky, chewy, crunchy snack was inspired by a pre-made version I recently sampled on a grocery excursion. The combination of tangy, sweet, and spicy flavors was both interesting and tasty, so I decided to try my hand at making a similar nut blend at home. I admit, my version is stickier than and doesn't taste quite the same as its inspiration. But the flavor profile is just as good, making the minimal amount of effort required to create this snack worthwhile. Homemade snacks are inherently satisfying, anyway--clumps and all.
Spicy Pomegranate-Glazed Nuts (printer-friendly version)
Yields approximately 2 cups
Gluten-free, soy-free

⅓ c pomegranate juice
¼ c orange juice
2 T evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar
¾ c raw, shelled pistachios
½ c raw, shelled almonds
1 tsp orange zest
⅛ tsp ground black pepper
1 T coarse, raw sugar
¼ c unsweetened, dried cherries, diced
pinch of flaky sea salt

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.

In a large saucepan, combine the pomegranate, orange, and evaporated cane juices (or sugar). Heat over medium-low, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Allow the juices to come to a steady simmer, then allow the mixture to continue simmering until it becomes thick and bubbly, approximately 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low.

Stir in the nuts, orange zest, black pepper, and raw sugar. Continue to cook the nut mixture over low heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid has almost evaporated completely and becomes thick and sticky, approximately 1 or 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the dried cherries and sea salt. Spread the nut mixture in an even layer on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow the nuts to cool completely before enjoying.

Store at room temperature or refrigerated in an airtight container.

***

And here's my photo-of-the-day: Spicy Stir-Fried Japanese Eggplant and Cucumber. Having never actually cooked with cucumber prior to trying this recipe, I was intrigued. The quick-cook method allows the cucumber to remain crisp, so the dish isn't as unusual as it initially seems. While it is enjoyable at any temperature, I prefer to eat it warm with a side of steamed brown or white rice.

6 comments:

  1. I loooove the look of that crunchy snack. I feel like I can smell the aroma. I'll have to see if it's possible to find the ingredients here. The eggplant and cucumber dish looks like comfort food to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those crunchy snack. Nice clicks with colorful nuts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie Veganfox3/19/12, 5:28 PM

    The nuts look great! We tried a bar from Two Moms in the Raw the other day and I've definitely been thinking about making some things like this. I'll definitely keep yours in mind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm! What a tasty sounding mix! I would never think of making a combination like that.

    And I love the idea of cooking cucumber. I eat cucumber practically every day, so this would be an interesting switch up, I think.  It kind of looks like pickles, cooked. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these! Just pinned them on pinterest!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)