24 March 2012

03.24

Months after my old sourdough starter took a turn for the worst, I am finally cultivating a replacement. My barm is only a couple of days old, but I couldn't resist putting it to use for a Basic Sourdough loaf. As with the seed culture and barm, I consulted the recipe in my beloved, go-to bread baking tome, The Bread Baker's Apprentice (Reinhart, 2001). The loaf has such a lovely, golden, crusty exterior and smells amazing. In an act of self-discipline, I haven't actually cut into this loaf yet; I stupidly told my mother that I would have fresh bread to share for dinner and prefer to present an intact loaf at the table. Based upon past successes using Reinhart's recipes, I have no doubt I'll be able to count this sourdough among them.
In a couple of weeks, the barm will develop its full, delightfully sour flavor...and I simply can't wait. Fortunately, I have the other half of the dough from this batch to bake up later, so there won't be a shortage of carbohydrate-laden goodness to hold me over for in the meantime.

2 comments:

  1. Xochitlhel5/7/12, 2:29 PM

    hi...I'm astonished by your pics and I would love to make the same recipes but I can't find them...do you post the recipes? Oh! I hope!!!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm so flattered. :) You can find my original recipes linked via the RECIPES tab: http://breadwithoutbutter.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html
    I don't repost the recipes I use from other people, but I try to link to them for each respective blog post. I hope that helps!
    Otherwise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)