26 March 2012

03.26

It's time for a vegan food survey to shake things up ever so slightly. I spotted the questions here and will just assume they're blog-hopping in one form or another in dramatic fashion (or not).

Favorite non-dairy milk?
plain, unsweetened almond milk

What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
The Best Vegetarian Bean Chili
Veggie Burgers with Pomegranate Ketchup
Jim's Irish Brown Bread

Topping of choice for popcorn?
sugar and salt, kettle-style

Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?

Favorite pickled item? 
baechu (cabbage) kimchi

How do you organize your recipes?
I make the initial division among sweet and savory dishes, then go from there (e.g., Asian, baked goods, etc.). Yeast doughs get their own category, too, just because I'm always bookmarking recipes for them.

Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
compost, whenever possible

If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
rice, some sort of dried legume, miso

Favorite vegan ice cream?
coconut milk-based ice creams (read: most of the Coconut Bliss and So Delicious Coconut flavors)

Most loved kitchen appliance? 
the humble toaster, which is what I use to reheat practically anything that requires a crisp exterior and happens to fit in the slots

Spice/herb you would die without?
I couldn't go so far as to say I'd die without it, but smoked paprika is nice to have on hand.

Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
I received Austrian Cooking & Baking (1975) by Gretel Beer as a Christmas gift several years ago. My copy doesn't get the attention it deserves. There's still time to change that, I suppose.

Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
blackberry

Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
chocolaty cupcakes (always a huge hit)

Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
I like them all, but tofu is always in my refrigerator and sometimes in my freezer. And then there is also the shelf-stable silken and freeze-dried tofu...

Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
To be perfectly honest, I like cooking all meals. Dinner is my favorite to prepare, because it usually involves the most kitchen work (which I find therapeutic, if not simply enjoyable).

What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
food storage containers, dried beans and lentils, quinoa, boxed cereal, bottles of hard liquor

Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
frozen fruit, almond meal, Korean rice cakes

What’s on your grocery list?
leafy greens (always)

Favorite grocery store?
Trader Joe's for certain staples, Whole Foods for the harder-to-find items, and a local Asian markets for Asian food items

Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet. 
pâte à choux

Food blog you read the most?
I read whatever shows up on my Reader feed, but I do end up returning to Just Hungry over and over.

Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
I don't eat much candy, but I do love homemade nut butter cups. I'm still on the search for a vegan form of Peanut M&Ms (hint, hint, candy-makers).

Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
whole vanilla beans


***
Food photo of the day: French toast stacked with tsubu an and fresh strawberries. Both the bread and tsubu an were homemade. The tartness of the strawberries offset the sweetness of the bean paste. The hint of sour flavor from the bread was a nice touch, too.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could find vegan M&Ms. I was said to hear that Whizzers weren't being made anymore!
    I hope you can successfully veganize pâte à choux!! 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)