16 July 2012

Recipe: Triple Chocolate Cookies

I'll be frank: these cookies are intensely chocolaty--perhaps unsuitably so for just the casual chocolate consumer. Not merely "chocolate cookies," or even "double chocolate cookies," these gems boast a triple-dose of decadence; dark cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate are blended into the dough, with chunks of the same dark chocolate and semisweet chips adding gooey richness to every bite. Bittersweet with the slightest salty finish, these cookies are indulgent treats capable of curing even the fiercest chocolate craving.
Triple Chocolate Cookies (printer-friendly version)
Yields approximately 18 cookies
Nut-free

½ c virgin coconut oil
½ c brown sugar
1 T milled flax seed, whisked with 3 T warm water, until viscous
1 c dairy-free dark chocolate, chopped - divided (Note: I used a variety with 72% cocoa solids.)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp instant espresso powder
1 ½ c whole wheat pastry flour
¼ c Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
½ c dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
Coarse sea salt for garnish, optional

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180C. Line two baking sheets with parchment or oven-proof silicone liners.

Gently melt ½ c of the semi-sweet chocolate and set aside. In a medium-sized bowl, beat the coconut oil and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the flax seed mixture to combine, then incorporate melted chocolate, vanilla extract, and espresso powder. Sift in the whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; mix until just combined. Stir in remaining chocolate chunks and chips until evenly distributed.

Scoop ping-pong ball-sized pieces of dough onto the lined baking sheets, spacing them approximately two inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from the oven, sprinkle the tops of the cookies sparingly with coarse sea salt, and allow them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to continue to cool and firm up. Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Bianca Vegan Crunk7/17/12, 1:56 PM

    Oh my!! Those look amazing! I bet that sea salt garnish really sets them off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are absolutely mouth-watering!!! It looks super chocolaty. Yum!!

    ❀ It's Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, these look divine.  Chocolately, melty, goodness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks absolutely wonderful! I would so love to try some. I reckon they would taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria @wayfaringteacher.com7/18/12, 2:17 AM

    Wow wow these look fantastic! Question: do you find that whole wheat pastry makes your baked good heavy and dense? I am looking for alternatives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, those look insanely chocolatey! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *drool*
    These look so good, I think my sugar levels just spiked!

    SL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look absolutely terrific. I'm obsessed with chocolate and these seem just chocolaty enough. The photos are to die for!

    ❀ It's
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teresa Affectioknit7/25/12, 1:26 PM

    Oh my...those look so yummy!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! These cookies are meant to be kinda dense--the chocolate content is pretty substantial--so whole wheat pastry flour works here. I haven't used other flours in this recipe yet, but I can't see why all-purpose flour wouldn't be just fine. If you do try alternatives, I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I have found my new go-to cookie. I don't think the coarse salt should be optional, I think that's a genius idea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)