17 October 2012

VMF 6-17: Minestrone

I am officially sick of summer squash; that's been the case for at least a month. As wonderful as it is to have homegrown, seasonal produce on hand, there is, with most things for most people, a point at which burnout hits. Frankly, I was never a huge fan of summer squash, anyway (winter varieties are more to my liking). Alas, determined not to let the last of the beastly yellow squash go to waste, I have tried, over the course of a week, to use it effectively.

The latest and greatest so far has been minestrone, or at least something inspired by the classic Italian soup. (Please excuse the use of poor-quality phone photos.)
For interested parties, these are the ingredients used, arranged in no significant order: garlic, kale, heirloom tomatoes, carrots, onion, yellow squash, vegetable broth, whole wheat noodles (fusilli), dark red kidney beans, thyme, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil. The soup was incredibly flavorful--a definite win. It seemed an appropriate dish for transitioning from summer to autumn.
There's maybe a pound of squash left, so perhaps another batch of soup is in order. I just hope the weather cools accordingly, because I am definitely over the summer heat.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, I hear you. No more summer squash, please. But I am sick again and usually crave this kind of soup. So please send me a bowl :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)